I Need Help With Designing My Sump/refug.!!!

shyshko08

I currently have a 45gal. aquarium that is running on canister filter. I just bought a 20 gallon long tank and want to build a sump/refug. but I don't know where to start.
Where should the refug. be placed, what kind of return pump to do I need, Do i need to drill the tank or not? etc.
Please any help or plan diagrams that you guys can come up with will help me a great deal. THANK YOU!!

gill again68

As a basic rule a lot of people try to turn their tank 10 times. That would suggest a 450 gph for your tank. So you would think you need a 450 gph pump. NOPE. You also have to calculate your head pressure. There are calculators on this site for this. Also you need to make sure your overflow can handle the flow of your return. If not its water on the floor. No, you dont have to drill your tank you can do a HOB style return. As far as design for sump you can check out melvesreef.com and youtube limpits sump design.
My suggestion would be read! I know that sounds like a PITA but the more you read the better you will understand. GOOD LUCK.

xcali1985

Basically use that youtube video. I did. What you do is start from the left(return side) and work your way to the right(fuge side). Check the footprint for all your equipment. Skimmers, Heaters, Pumps, then on the return side install about 2 inches more width or so than needed on the specs. this will lower first due to evaporation. Then check the skimmer and other equipement needed and measure that. The rest can be your fuge.

shyshko08

I came up with a plan. Let me know if you have any suggestions before I start to build it.
Also do I need that first compartment (Input) with the live rocks in it or can they be incorporated in the refug. And how to I figure out what pump I would need to return the water to the display tank.

calbert0

Looks like you got it all figured out.
Now just build the thing!
Edit* you may want to add an extra baffle to help disipate bubbles after the skimmer.
Also, you should make the baffle before the return pump at equal height to the baffle that leads into the refugium section. Otherwise your water level will be very low in the fuge and the waterfall effect will stir up the sand in the fuge area.

F

flukes

This is just a thought,, But you might want to have the skimmer and the 'input' in the same compartment. The reason that I suggest this is so that you can have more room for your refugium. you can add live rock in your refugium area too.

calbert0

buy overflow box, then get a pump to match its capabilities. Or vice versa.
Be sure to take into account reduction in flow do to height of return (head).

shyshko08

Originally Posted by calbert0
http:///forum/post/3169451
buy overflow box, then get a pump to match its capabilities. Or vice versa.
Be sure to take into account reduction in flow do to height of return (head).
How would I calculate the reduction?

F

flukes

If it was me I would go to glass-holes and get the 700 gph overflow, it comes with the drill bit for glass and I would also buy two 3/4 inch return kits (also comes with the drill bit). Then I would buy a mag 7 pump for my return.

E

eric b 125

one thing i notice with your diagram is the baffle heights in your fuge. i would make the baffle on the left side of your fuge shorter and the R side higher- that way the macro will 'tumble'. on the L side you can use eggcrate on top of the baffle to the top of the sump to keep the macro in the chamber.

i<3reefs

You shouldn't need anything more than a 500gph overflow, and I recommend eheim pumps. Obviously your pumps flow needs to be less than 500gph, so purchase a 300gph pump. If you want your macro algae to work well it needs a lower flow environment, so 300gph works just fine.

xcali1985

I hope you haven't started building yet, as your current setup does not leave enough room for powerloss siphon. You skimmer walls only need to be 6-8 inches tall. I would put the skimmer and intake in the same as previously mentioned.
The way you have the pump and fuge area designed macro algae and other critters can get into your return pump. I would lose the egg crate and just simply make another wall.
Just need to make sure that you have space for powerloss, i would put that #1 on the list. I would much rather lose 10&#37; on my pump or skimmer than take a chance on the overflowing of the sump.

shyshko08

Originally Posted by Xcali1985
http:///forum/post/3169901
I hope you haven't started building yet, as your current setup does not leave enough room for powerloss siphon. You skimmer walls only need to be 6-8 inches tall. I would put the skimmer and intake in the same as previously mentioned.
The way you have the pump and fuge area designed macro algae and other critters can get into your return pump. I would lose the egg crate and just simply make another wall.
Just need to make sure that you have space for powerloss, i would put that #1 on the list. I would much rather lose 10% on my pump or skimmer than take a chance on the overflowing of the sump.
Could you explain where I would put the power-loss siphon? How do they work?

twood

What he means by "powerloss siphon" is that if the return pump loses power, water will continue to siphon from your tank into the sump until the tank water level drops below the edge of the overflow. You need to configure your sump to hold the extra water that will flow into it from the tank. Otherwise you will have water pouring over the side of your sump.