I need help with ICK!!

troyw806

Yesterday I bought a baby blue hippo (regal). Today I noticed little white cotton patches on it and the eyes are starting to cloud over. The tank it is currently in is a 40 gal. The water params r Ammonia-0 Nitrate-0 Ph-8.2. It's tank mates with a small yellow tang, Two damsels, diamond goby, small snowflake eel, lawmower blenny and three blue leg hermit crabs. Can I add some cleaner shrimp and be done with it or is there some kind of med. I can put in the tank. What is the best way to get rid of the ick?

carshark

:scared: well first of all above anything, the 40 gallon is entirely too small for your tangs, and if he didnt show signs when you bought it but has it now, chances are its in your tank. second you cant medicate it without taking your inverts out, the copper will kill your inverts, here check out this FAQ
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127007
that should answer all your questions

fallinmor

treat with medication and go and buy neon gobies they act as cleaners and will control out bursts like that, there are also things u can buy like " It's Clear" and "probiotic" and a bunch of stuff on this site to control it

troyw806

Tanks for all of your help guys. I'll be very busy when I get off work setting up qt tanks and hovering over my tank to make sure eveyone is taken care of. :joy: