I need help with my tank...

sillynecco

I have had my tank running for about a year now, and instead of having purple coraline algae on my tank i have brown stuff on the rocks. I suspect this is due to not enough flow.
I have a 75 gallon tank, and im upgrading my pump from a mag 7 to a mag 12, what esle do you suggest i should do? I am going to add some powerheads, i have 2 in there right now, but they are rated at lower GPH's. I want to just put in two good ones so the tank dosn't have powerheads all over the place.
Any suggestions?

merredeth

Until you can get some powerheads try moving them around each day and of course make sure you have enough inverts to clean the stuff up.
Can you take a picture and post it?
Denise M.

sillynecco

also, forgot to mention.... I have 2 triggers who will mess up anything with legs in my tank.
(2 humma hummas) so a clean up crew is limited.
i will post pics soon...

promisetbg

Use a turkey baster{only use for the tank} to blast the rocks of detritus and leftover food. This will put it into suspension so your skimmer can remove it. Do this often, eventually when you blast it the amount will be much less. Be prepared for a mess in the beginning. You also need to test for and make adjustments to CA and ALK in order to maintain coraline.{Do NOT use Purple Up, use a two part additive....JMO}

robsw

triggers are pigs and when i had one i had the same problem because they would try to eat everything. he is no longer with me tho. if i were you i would get 2 tiny horseshoe crabs. they will clean your sandbed at night when your triggers are in the rockwork. by day they will be buried in the sand. hope this helps.

J

jdragunas

i don't think horseshoe crabs are a good idea. They get really really big... like 2' or so. They might be fine in the beginning, but they're not too hardy either. I agree with merredith. You might want to look into a closed-loop setup to create some good flow throughout your whole tank.

aredmon

Close loop system is a good idea. Keeps you from having alot of powerheads. Also sometimes you may want to decrease your lighting a few hours a day till the problem is fixed. Lights help it grow. Maybe even a phosphate sponge of some kind in the filtration system could help.

merredeth

Originally Posted by RobSW
triggers are pigs and when i had one i had the same problem because they would try to eat everything. he is no longer with me tho. if i were you i would get 2 tiny horseshoe crabs. they will clean your sandbed at night when your triggers are in the rockwork. by day they will be buried in the sand. hope this helps.
I wouldn't put a horseshoe into my tank as they grow to be over 12 inches in many cases. You also need a lot of roaming room for them or they will die since they are bottom feeders.
Denise M.