I need help with tangs!!

G

get reel

Exactly Musipilot. The 10 gallon was ONLY a temporary home, and I too wouldn't designate a Tang to a home that small for good. I was just stating the fact that I don't believe it had any effects on the fish. Hey, I read ALOT on this hobby, and thers alot of things that I "believe" just from reading. And i'm sure someone could probably disprove quite a few of those from thier own experiences. As for expert, maybe in SNOOK fishing, but certainly not in REEFING.

shadow678

Cobra: Your math is very off. An 8" tang in a 10 gallon tank would be the equivalent of an average 6'tall person being housed in a 112sq ft. room. The same tang in a 55 would be the equivalent of a 6'tall person being housed in a 378sq. ft. room. Add furniture(rock) and that reduces the size even more. And as for the elevator, a 1 gallon tank would be smaller than 8" squared, which means the tang would touch both ends. How many elevators have you been in where you had to squeeze in? As for publishing anyones works from this forum board, no offense to the guys here, but I would love to see that. Let's not be rediculous here. Is your post simply to cause trouble, or are you actually going to have some intelligent thought to add? I got flamed for suggesting a more appropriate housing for a LIVE ANIMAL. If that is the way you feel, then you be my guest. MY OPINION(which I am entitled to have) is that housing a tang in a 10 gallon tank for a year is pure cruelty, and I pity your livestock.

cobra2806

Shadow678: I agree with the 8" tang, but most tangs I see at my LFS are about 4" and...well I don't feel like getting into this with you. The only reason I even posted was that as noted previously in this post someone would bring up the tank size thing. Your absolutly right about having you own opinion but you slammed steamboat1569 for having his own. Plain and simple if a fish wasn't happy it would die. Regardless the question here is why is kdv4pets tangs dying? Three deaths within days after purchase has nothing to with tank size. No hard feeling Shadow678 just to many people through around the words experts and published.

shadow678

The reason I got into it so deeply with steamboat is because he created a thread personally attacking me and my manhood like a 10 year old child, and I have absolutely no respect for him or his advice. Regardless of what underlying problems the tangs may have had at purchase, if they were too large for the tank they were pout into, they would not acclimate as readily, or at all. It could be the tangs were harvested using cyanide tablets, or the lfs that they were purchased from had poor water quality and they were headed downhill from the start. But if they were already stressed, then it would be that much worse to be put into a small tank with limited room and hiding places. But whatever, if someone wants to put a tang in a 10 gallon tank, go for it, but if you were my customer, I would refuse to sell anything over the size of a damsel until you got a larger tank.

your still an idiot. You can accuse people of cyanide or what ever, where is the fact to your theory.
You need math lessons, too.
You have had several posts,(a lot), concerning tank size. I just wonder if you you have issues with other possible personal problems.

robchuck

I know it may not be my place to say this, but could you guys not bicker over your differences on this site. I come here for information on this hobby, not to watch people settle their differences. If I wanted to do that, I could turn on the TV and watch boxing. I began reading this thread to read about tangs, not flaming people for their math skills or intelligence level. Thank you!

Sure, no problem.
the elevator analogy does not work. Wrassecal is correct.
In order for the elevator analogy to work, the elevator, (in human terms), has to be about 60 feet long, and 15 feet wide, (taken up with about 9 feet of live rock), and about 25 feet tall. Of course the human in this habitat will have to have the ability to fly, with food to eat on all the rocks, and being fed by a simple minded aquariast. It would have plenty of places to fly in and out of rocks, and have tank mates to play with.
When you guys run in to this kind of an elevator, I will come live in it. Of course, I will have to have the ability to fly at least 4 times my height.

shadow678

Out of respect for the other members of this forum board, I will not continue to argue with you over this. From now on, don't make any posts directed at me and I will ignore you and do the same, agreed? Get on with your life.

shadow678

Ok, where do you get that I was the one that came up with the elevator thing? And did I not just suggest a truce? One last smartass comment was necessary? I'm really beginning to regret joining this forum, too many childish assholes.

I did not say that you were the one that brought it up. You were the one that did math that is wrong.
I just brought up past posts that you have a problem with size. Psychiatrists would have a field day with you. You sure aren't good with calling a truce.
There is nothing wrong with having a yellow tang in a 55 gallon tank. If that is too much for you, then so be it. And elevators have absolutetly nothing to do with it (can't compare a 5'X5"X7' to a 55 gallon tank). Never seen a elevator that is as spatious as my 55 gallon tank in terms of human beings.
Back yourself with facts. I have a yellow tang that is perfectly happy in a 55. It's my brittle star that is outgrowing the tank. Outer diameter of 24" if you draw a circle around it's arms.

humutang

many years ago I had a yellow tang in a 20 gal high aquarium for about 4 years. I gave him away and got out of the hobby for a long time. I currently have a hippo in a 29 and a naso in a 55. Thay are just as happy and healthy as can be. I do get kind of tired of hearing about the size issues on these boards.

danedodger

Size issues are very pertinent and hotly debated in this hobby though so anywhere you go it's going to continue to come up.
Maybe people could step back and see that there are good points on both sides of this thread discussion. Put the whole elevator discussion aside because whether the math is correct or not comparing fish to people is like comparing apples to oranges no matter what.
My humble opinion is that it's true, there really isn't a significant difference betwen a 55 gallon and a 75 since they're the same length.
I also think that there's a big difference between putting a younger, much smaller tang into a smaller tank than putting a full grown tang into that same size tank. I can easily see a very small tang being kept temporarily in a 29 or even smaller and wouldn't consider it inhumane. On the other hand, keeping one permanently in anything that small I would say definitely would adversely affect it's health, happiness, and therefore it's lifespan.
But back to the ORIGINAL post asking for help trying to decide why these tangs keep dying, I would say that it isn't the size of the tank that's the problem. It definitely sounds like they're stressing over something! Determining WHAT is going to take some detective work. Checking into how they were aquired in the first place and for stray voltage are definitely good, better safe than sorry ideas. My first thought though was that something in that tank is picking on them though. It would fit the behavior of the tangs, especially since they start out so well then go downhill. I'd keep a very close eye on that tomato and hawk.

devildog54

been having the same prob with my yellow tangs, had 4 die on me, all came from diferent places, they last for about 3 days then i find them in the sand...i came to the conclusion that its not meant for me to have one...lol

hot883

Devildog, there are MANY reasons why a tang dies.
But first some of the others on here NEED TO GROW UP, and quit name calling and whining like little ignorant children. Agree to disagre, don't ruin the thread.
Tangs need alot of room generally yes, but have been kept sucessful in smaller tanks; proven fact. They are sensitive to water conditions because they have no scales and can get stressed out very easily with just a little thing as a new occupant being introduced. Stray voltage is perhaps the largest killer of yellow tangs, ICH and malnriousment being the 2nd. in my opinion. I introduced a LTA into my 55 and he took over the spot that my yellow tang resided in. Thats all it took for him to freek out, get stressed, and died the very next day.
And oh, by the way Tuefel Huenden Happy Belated 230th B-day. Barry