I need some help guys and gals

deegrimes

Ok I have and amazing amount of algae in my tank. I have read the excellent post on algae problems. It is a great post but am not sure what is going on so I thought I would run something by you and see if it could have something to do with it.
I redid my tank due to a brook outbreak in my tank. Changed my subtrate from cc to sand (3 inches thick) My tank has been up and running for almost 2 weeks now and I have algae growing on my glass at an amazing rate. It is bright green and is to the point that it is turning my water green. I use ro water and have not changed my original filtration or anything my lights run the same time as they always have. I have no fish in my tank but I do have my cleaners which include 32 snails and 11 crabs 3 blue starfish and 2 strawberry conches. I also have 2 fire shrimp and 2 pepperment shrimp. I have never had algae in my tank like this before. Could the new sand cause this? We tried a 50 percent water change with no luck. I did add 10 pounds of live rock to the tank and it seemed to start after I added the live rock if that even makes any sense. I am at a loss here I really am. My nitrate is up it is 20.
Please give me any help you can it would be appreciated. My tank is a 75 gallon.

susieq

I did the same change in February. I also had a problem with algae. I think removing the cc causes a lot of pollution in the tank and causes a spike. It took about a month of consistent cleaning and water changes to get it under control but now it's clear. Good luck.

deegrimes

Thanks Susieq!! That makes sense. Can you recall how much water and how often you did a change to get it corrected. So I only need to scrub 10 times a day for about a month
I will build up muscles anyway

badoleross

I good HOB filter will help get the water clear while you are waiting for the bloom to end. Thatin addition to the water changes.

murph

Since there is not much in the tank that needs a lot of light right now why not try just cutting those hours way back for awhile and let the cleanup crew catch up.
I wont bother with the whole nitrate phosphate deal, sounds like your aware of those factors already.

susieq

Originally Posted by deegrimes
Thanks Susieq!! That makes sense. Can you recall how much water and how often you did a change to get it corrected. So I only need to scrub 10 times a day for about a month
I will build up muscles anyway
It really wasn't that strenuous. I just used a magnet on the glass and kept up with the water changes. I have a 55. It was about 15% a week.

deegrimes

just thought I would let you know that I have done a 25%water change and I bought an aqua clear hob filter and cut my lights back. As you can see I took all your suggestions. It is already making a difference in the algae. I am sooooo happy
. Thanks so much for your help.