I need some kind words...

klongo

My husband vetoed my new bigger, better tank
cuz of the $$$$$
AND, my 35 gal tank that I'm cycling is stuck - so I'm bummed about that too.
My ammonia dropped to 0 last Thursday - pH, SG, temp, ammonia - All looking great, but the nitrites haven't budged since then.
Sooo, I'm sitting here looking a beautiful, empty tank with a few dead rocks and what's left of a decaying cocktail shrimp (but I do have a glass of wine, so life isn't totally bad).
Anyway, just looking for someone to commiserate with me while I practice patience.
Kathy

aarone

I have a suggestion.
Start planning what you want to do with your tank. REsearch and prepare to purchase your new tankmates :)
I know it takes time but its worth it in the long run!
aaron

birdy

don't worry Kathy, once he see's the new tank up and running with fish, he will want a new and bigger tank, you just gotta get him hooked also. I would go ahead and take your shrimp out now, that is probably why your nitrites won't drop.

clint_reno

Half the fun is planning what you're going to put in there, so I that's one good way to look at it.
Did your tank crash? Or is this your first go? I am a newbie, but I do have a theory about these tall tanks.

klongo

Thanks aarone - If I research and plan and wish anymore, my hubby is going to KILL me! I'm the kind of person that researches constantly (almost to extremes!). I've got my list of cleaners all set to go, I know how much LR to buy and where to get it, I've got my fish all planned out, my QT tank protocol all planned out - even what my ultimate goal is (a 100+ gallon+ tank with a mandarin in it!)
Wish I could just nudge that nitrite down and get going with the "plan". Maybe I'll go look at some more fish and change my list !

klongo

Clint - I'm all ears, what's teh theory?
This is the first go round. I had freshwater for 10 years, tore down my tank a few years ago when my kids' sports schedules got too insance. Now I have a few extra hours a week and set up my tank as a SW. Patience has never been my strong point, so this is definitely a learning lesson for me.
Birdy, I took most of the shrimp out two days ago, but a few bits kind of dissolved into non-pick-uppable pieces.
It's just such an ugly tank at the moment with the algae and the nothing!
Hubby was VERY excited about the prospect of a bigger tank and "bigger, better" fish until we really priced out the tank, the sump, the skimmer, the MORE rock, etc. He says maybe next Christmas (then I'm going with a large SW and turning this one back into a freshwater - just Discus or angels - my favorites)

bededog

Klongo,
I have an idea. Why don't you buy your live rock and get the curing process going. That will give you something to do. Do it in a rubbermaid tub or something. Unless you are getting cured stuff locally then I guess you won't need to take that step.
One more idea. I could be wrong about this but I think if your ammonia is at 0 then you can get your clean up crew. Someone else better give you the go ahead on that one, don't just take my opinion on that.
Just trying to help.
Good Luck.

klongo

I'm planning on buying my LR on line - and, as there's nobody living in my tank yet, I'll just put it in and endure another cycle - hopefully just a small, short one.

jrpage

Unless you have a QT already - you could use your current tank as such when you get you bigger one next year. HIGHLY recommend one!!
BTW There's a great sticky on QT/HT in the disease forum.

mlt

I am just recovering from a crash so I know how you feel about the wait!! I have complained so much my son said he is going to cut some fish pictures out and tape to the outside of the tank so he doesn't have to listen to me any more! Believe me-go slow-it is harder to have something in your tank and lose it all than it is to just wait and go slow!

clint_reno

Only my experience, with great help from the board. It is important to get a good consistent water flow with this type of tank, due to the limited surface to air exposure! A traditional box aquarium of the same size has a much greater square diameter of surface that is exposed to the all important air/oxygen.
So you have to compensate, in fact, if you accept this premise now, you will have better luck with your fish. I took the poor man's solution, because, well, I am a poor man.
But my tank cycled in just over a week! Here is what I did, and if you get anything from it, that will be great. I wish you the best.
1. Remove the shrimp from your tank.
2. Go to *****, (remember. . . cheap and smart!) Buy a Penquin Bio-wheel 140 filter, (under $40) and a 10lb. bag of quality live sand, ($25).
3. Get the quality, clean, children's playsand you find at Home Depot. A 50lb. is around $5. You most likely will not need all 50 lbs. So you have extra for your next tank. (There are a ton of recent posts about this sand, if you need more advice.)
4. Go to Wal-mart. By a two-pack airstone set, a two-valve air pump, and some clear plastic tubing. Around $15-$20.
5. Go home, drain about 25% of your water. Start rinsing sand in a bucket, by running water while stirring with your hand. Pour off cloudy top, and repeat, until sand almost washes clean. Add washed sand to tank, and repeat rinse cycle with new sand, until you have a desired depth. I went with 2 inches. The water is going to be cloudy, don't panic.
6. Seed your new sand bed with the 10lb back of Live Sand. Make sure you check the expiration date of the bag while in the store! This involves adding it last, on top.
7. Put your new Penquin filter on the back of your tank, as directions indicate. Run filter, and you should be clear in about three days. Maybe two. Maybe four. And your sweet new bed of white sand is starting to work.
8. After the sand has cleared, hook up the air pump, lines and stones, and drop down the back, well below the intake of the Penquin filter intake. You will have to weigh it with something, and put it about three inches forward of the intake, a couple inches up from the sand bottom. Plug it in and you should be in business.
I hope this helps. My tank cycled in about a week, and the fish love the cool bottom to top water flow. I think the oxygen cycle is sort of super-charged, and the bio-wheel filter is supposed to be an ammonia eater.
Keep in mind, I did not use tap water. And this way, you should have fish sooner than later. Once you have had fish for awhile, then find some quality, fully-cured lr. I am not at that point yet. Hope this helps.