i need some more invertebrates, but what do i get

bionicarm

Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2776143
i've seen sally lightfoot crabs lunging out at fish as they swam by.
urchins eat the rock clean. you won't even have coralline. not to mention they knock everything over.
a green brittle star is a known fish killer.
flame scallops are very hard to keep alive
Sally's can be a little aggressive if they're confronted, but will scamper away for the most part. I've had a spiny and a pencil urchin in my 55 for over a year now, and while they do tend to knock over small corals, they don't "eat the rock clean". I have so much coralline in that tank, I wish they would eat some. I think my green brittle has grabbed one of my small chromis, but considering most of my fish are over 2" in the tank he's in, he doesn't touch them. Flames can be sensitive to new tanks, but if your tank is over 6 months old, you won't have any problems with them.

mr_x

here's something from just 1 article about flame scallops-
"Just in case that didn’t sink in, I wanted to make a point of emphasizing that the survival record of flame scallops in captivity has traditionally been extremely poor. The typical experience of people who buy them is that the animal tries its best at hiding (often with the aquarist having to pick it out of the rockwork numerous times so that it is visible in the aquarium) for a while before eventually giving up and slowly dying. Even when the rest of the reef tank is flourishing, people who add a flame scallop to their tank typically watch as it slowly wastes away over a period as short as a couple of months to a maximum of about six to ten months. I would guess that the single most common cause for the demise of flame scallops in any aquarium is quite simply starvation. Although I should also point out right off the bat that these animals are relatively short-lived (something on the order of about three to four years maximum, and I’ll come back to this later), there are still precious few reports of these animals surviving in captivity for more than a year or so. Sadly, the 6-10 months that most people manage to keep a flame scallop in their tank is also a reasonable estimate of how long it should take a well-fed animal to starve to death after collection and being placed in an aquarium in which it is deprived of food. So, if you’re really set on trying to add one of these attractive and interesting animals to your tank, you need to make a serious effort to provide it with the appropriate conditions to keep it healthy and well-fed in captivity."

mscenter58

i havve a sally lightfoot and a reef urchin..... u guys say the sally attacks fish ive never had a problem with that he just minds his buisness and always eating.. the urchin is a good algea eater but yea u wont get any coralline thats how good they are