I need some opinions and advice!!

row

Yesterday I noticed some little white specks on my coral beautys dorsal fins.
I have previously lost all my fish to ich. So i kept my DT empty for six weeks, and bought and cycled a QT. My CB was quarantined for 3 weeks before being added to the DT. I then bought a fuzzy dwarf lion fish and quarantined it for three weeks with no problems. I added the lion fish to the DT two weeks ago. They are both eating fine and the coral beauty is very active. I also use garlic guard to help reduce the risk of disease.
My question is: what do you think the white specks are? I can't believe that it would be ich again, I have had this coral beauty alive and healthy for almost 2 months. If anyone thinks it is ich, why am I having such a problem with it and what should I do? Could it be something else?
I have a 55 reef. My water parameters are:
SG- 1.023
TemP- 79
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 0
PH - 7.8 (its low, I am looking at a new buffer, mine doesn't dissolve and burns my corals)
Calcium- 400
KH- 6
Phosphate-.1
Thanks for any help.

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by ROW
Yesterday I noticed some little white specks on my coral beautys dorsal fins.
I have previously lost all my fish to ich. So i kept my DT empty for six weeks, and bought and cycled a QT. My CB was quarantined for 3 weeks before being added to the DT. I then bought a fuzzy dwarf lion fish and quarantined it for three weeks with no problems. I added the lion fish to the DT two weeks ago. They are both eating fine and the coral beauty is very active. I also use garlic guard to help reduce the risk of disease.
My question is: what do you think the white specks are? I can't believe that it would be ich again, I have had this coral beauty alive and healthy for almost 2 months. If anyone thinks it is ich, why am I having such a problem with it and what should I do? Could it be something else?
I have a 55 reef. My water parameters are:
SG- 1.023
TemP- 79
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 0
PH - 7.8 (its low, I am looking at a new buffer, mine doesn't dissolve and burns my corals)
Calcium- 400
KH- 6
Phosphate-.1
Thanks for any help.
Anyway to post a pic? Ick can return! Also post this question in the disease and treatment thread as well.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Have you added anything else to the tank other than the fish?
I was thinking that as well. Have you added anything since the fish have been in the tank such as more rock, corals, etc.?

row

No I haven't added anything since, or before adding the fish. I cant post a pic because my camera is a piece of crap. Both fish are still eaing well and are quite active.

murph

Once in the tank parasites can be an ongoing problem. Your six week fallow period was a good idea and it sounds like you may have to repeat the process.

Your QT period may have been a tad short. IMO the only 100 percent effective method to kill the parasite is copper exposure. You may find a lot of resistance to this method at the hobbyist level and there are some species that should not be exposed to copper but keep in mind also that curators of large commercial displays use carefully monitored copper exposures during the QT phase. They simply can not risk the introduction of parasites to these DTs. You should be able to find plenty of info on the net on how to use copper. Hypo will work also but leaves plenty of room for error and has its draw backs also.
The mind set I have come to for reef tanks is just that. A reef tank is a reef tank, meaning the emphasis is on corals and inverts. Fish are a secondary consideration if not just a necessary evil to keep the tank in better balance. Just a few inexpensive specimens as far as fish are concerned (a few damsels maybe or a pair of false percs, a school of chromis). This will keep the bio load extremely low, a good thing for a reef tank and leaves money for the purchase of more corals and inverts. You may even find that after a tank like this matures it is not even necessary to feed the few fish in it or bring outside feedings down substantially. Another vary good thing imo.
Parasite problems then become minor consideration with these hardy species likely to fend off infection or worst case scenario can be replaced at a minor financial investment.
But most of use want fish right? I would suggest setting up a fish only system to accompany your reef tank. This would mean you can add any species you want, reef safe or not. In the absence of lr and inverts treatment can in most cases take place right in the DT and water quality and light needs is less of an issue. These are the types of tanks you commonly see in resturants and doctors offices.

hogs

Murph. By treatment do you mean copper?
But most of use want fish right? I would suggest setting up a fish only system to accompany your reef tank. This would mean you can add any species you want, reef safe or not. In the absence of lr and inverts treatment can in most cases take place right in the DT and water quality and light needs is less of an issue. These are the types of tanks you commonly see in resturants and doctors offices.

row

Thanks for the reply. I was looking today while I was feeding and couldn't see the white specks on the fins at all.