I need some QUICK HELP!!

jzuse

I just got home and found my six line wrasse not moving it and is seems like it has some kind of swelling on its tail fin. It almost looks like it is a white transparent film but the scales look really defined. I have him and a Coral beauty and two clown fish in QT and I am perfoming hypo I just finished lowing the salinity. What do I do I dont wnat to lose it, I have already lost one because it jumped out but ther is a pic hopeuflly you can help me out :help:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Why are you doing hypo? Are you using your display for hypo?
How long have you had this fish? Any chance that he is suffering from aggression?

unleashed

looks like its getting a bacterial infection as beth also stated is that wound from aggression?if your fish doesnt have ich there is no point in hypo i would treat this wound asap hopefully its not to late

jzuse

I am using hypo because after a couple of days in a QT I noticed some white spots on two of the fish, this one and a clown fish. When I first got the fish his tail fin was already damaged like that, but there were no signs of anything else. The fish store said it was some kind of bacterial infection so they recommended PimaFix and Marine-C for the food.
But after all this last night it looked like the Sixline was going to make it but this morning it died, but now my Coral Beauty has me concerned he has been losing color. I don’t know if it because of the hypo or what. I am thinking of just using copper safe so I can let them go into the display tank sooner. What do you suggest?

unleashed

I would slowly raise the sg up to a normal level but i im not sure of the coppersafe due to the bacterial infection(yes it will kill the ich) if this persist unfortunately your LFs neglected to read the label on the pimafix although pimafix is a good(natural )antifugal and antibiotic it does not have the same diverse broad spectrum of healing aids as melafix does.this should have been their first natural remody suggestion they should have suggested melafix also treats bactrial infection but has an added stress reduction formula and aids in the healing process. you can use pimafix and mela fix together .this is a good example of why i do not qt with hypo some may swear by it, myself i swear at it. i have in the past dosed my tank with coppersafe after dosing the tank with melafix.I just hope its not too late for your new fish.you should be able to ad the coppersafe before raising the sg its made for all water types

jzuse

Ok that sound like sound advice, but will the copper affect the coral beauty? I also just lost one of my new clown fish, so now this sucks. So I can dose the OT with coppersafe, melafix and pimafix? and if so how long should I let the fish stay in there?

unleashed

Originally Posted by Jzuse
Ok that sound like sound advice, but will the copper affect the coral beauty? I also just lost one of my new clown fish, so now this sucks. So I can dose the OT with coppersafe, melafix and pimafix? and if so how long should I let the fish stay in there?
i would start with the coppersafe its a one dose for 30 treatment the copper will strip the slime coat off of your fish opening the wound from the any bacterias attached to it.then add the melafix it will help promote the slime coat and speed up the healing process.keep a close eye on water conditions feed regulary.if needed also can use the pimafix good luck i suugest also giving your fish a place to hide even a clear plastic pop bottle with end cut out you can see him but he will feel safer(clean well with hot fw no detergents)
oh yeh forgot to ask is the coral beauty eating yet? i purchased one about 2 weeks ago from lfs they could not get it to at for 4 days i braught it home dumped him into my 300 and within one hr he was pigging out on thera+A pellets by spectrum

unleashed

I dont have a bottle right now to give exact treatment time for the coppersafe .i have never used it in a qt before i have only used it in my 125 full tank treatment and i know it stays in the tank a fulll 30 days ! dose oh yeh try pygmy angel food formula by ocean nutrition it has natural sponge that angeles eat in the wild (frozen cube)

jzuse

I would imagine there is no difference, Well I realy dont want to use the copper in the main tank I have corals and inverts

unleashed

Originally Posted by Jzuse
I would imagine there is no difference, Well I realy dont want to use the copper in the main tank I have corals and inverts
noo no def not lol.i have had to use it a couple times in my agressive my fish are way to big to toss into a qt id have to set up another 125 to quarentine them lol.good luch with with him i hope its caught soon enough

unleashed

sorry for your loss i know its hard im glad you have a clown left btw how is he doing ? .i dont know why a lfs would sell you a fish knowing it had an infection before you purchased it.