I need some sand cleaners, any ideas?

rotarygeek

Ok so my sand is getting outa control. It looks like hair algea has been rolled in sand and left on top. I want some stuff that will get my sand back to clean. I know there are certain snails that will clean sand, and there are some fish that clean the sand, but i don't know which ones. They all have to be compatible with
2 clowns
1 sixline wrasse
1 yellow tang
1 lawnmower blenny
1 emerals crab
probably 10 hermit crabs
2 turbo snails
cc starfish
couple zoas/leathers.
Before you ask, here are my results
amm= 0
trite=0
trate=15
ph=8.1
phosphates=0
I do have calcium, kh, and one other test kit, but i dont remember what they are right off the top of my head. These test were from 3 days ago. The sand has been in the tank about 8 months. Thanks for any help.

kazara

Get some Nassarius Snails and Scarlet hermit crabs and Mexican turbo snails That what I have and a Choc. Chip and does great job.

rotarygeek

Well the cc starfish will be getting a new home soon, so i wont have him anymore. Are there any fish that clean the sandbed? I would really like to add another fish to my tank too.

subielover

Nassarius and cerith snails both do a very good job of stirring up the sand bed. There are a number of gobies that will all sift the sand for you. A fighting conch will also help keep the sand bed nice and clean

mr_x

it sounds like you are describing cyanobacteria, not algae. that's from excess nutrients. cyano comes in green also.
no nassarius snails, or conches or gobies or crabs are going to eat that.
how is the flow across the sand bed, and what are your modes of nutrient export?

snakeblitz33

when you are doing your next scheduled water change, siphon out as much as you can.
As long as you keep up with water changes and don't feed a lot and have a good working protein skimmer, a lot of problems can be solved without adding anything new to the tank.

rotarygeek

Well its a 55 gallon with a modded maxi jet 1600 and a koralia 1 plus the 500 or so gph from my return pump. There is lots of flow in the tank, but none of it is directed by the sandbed. The koralia 1 is pretty much my only option for that becuase i don't have the good mounting bracket for the maxijet, but will a koralia 1 even help? Its not too strong at all....

mr_x

i don't know the answer to that, but i do agree, koralia 1's are a bit on the weak side. do like snake said, and do more frequent waterchanges.