I need the unbiased average americans opinion

el guapo

I am just curious what the average joe thinks here . On another forum there are many heated debates on the sport of MMA. Its been said that the eliteXC fight aired saturday night has brought new found interest to the sport of mixed martial arts . I won't give my opion on it yet . I would like to see how the rest of you think though .

renogaw

erm...
here goes my man card...
i didn't know what MMA stood for until you said later in the sentence...
i did though hear about the fight on the radio, so i do know that someone had a really nasty ear, and that they took off 48 hrs...
other than that, i don't care about fights...

cowfishrule

i saw whatever fight was on april 19th, 2008. some ppv thing (i think).
eh, mma is not for me. (but im still keeping my man card).

porkchop48

I watch the Faber/ pulver fight.
Now that was a good fight. I waited all day to see that fight and I do believe it was worth it.
Being a girl and all I still love MMA

earlybird

I watched and was upset that during the first 70 mins or so there was only 2 mins of fighting. I also think it was horribly televised and the commentary is just as bad.
The fight went pretty much how I expected it to go. Some decent undercards but the Kimbo match was a let down. He's a heck of a street fighter but not cut for MMA. They wanted him to win badly and I feel that the match was called too soon or you can make a case about them not calling it earlier when Kimbo was on his back taking some "elbow grease."
I think that the sport is great and it's very technical. I'm biased b/c I wrestle and I'm a wrestling coach. However, it's main demographic is for high school kids (I think), similar to the X Games. I don't know how long the sport will last or continue to be as big as it is now. If anything it showed that UFC is the top dog.

spanko

Lot of man card talk on this site today, here and in Rens thread on his fight with the hedge trimmer. What gives all you manly men???

lexluethar

I loved it. I always try to watch the paperview ones when they are big fighters, guess the last one i saw was chuck and the guy that knocked chuck out (can't think of his name). I believe those are two separate leagues though right? MMA and UFC?
What the heck is the difference...? Same rules...
Oh, and they definately shouldn't have stopped two of the fights, one the guy had 5 minutes to recover from the eye injury and after 30 seconds they stopped the fight (retarded), and the main event with Kimbo, although i saw that other guy about to get knocked out I think they should have let it go a bit longer. Kimbo might have lost if he got put on his back again.

el guapo

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2630591
Lot of man card talk on this site today, here and in Rens thread on his fight with the hedge trimmer. What gives all you manly men???

I never said anything about a mans card in this thread . I asked for average americans opinion. Best fight on saturdays cards was female fighters . It was good technical fighting in many styles .

el guapo

Originally Posted by LexLuethar
http:///forum/post/2630602
I loved it. I always try to watch the paperview ones when they are big fighters, guess the last one i saw was chuck and the guy that knocked chuck out (can't think of his name). I believe those are two separate leagues though right? MMA and UFC?
What the heck is the difference...? Same rules...
Oh, and they definately shouldn't have stopped two of the fights, one the guy had 5 minutes to recover from the eye injury and after 30 seconds they stopped the fight (retarded), and the main event with Kimbo, although i saw that other guy about to get knocked out I think they should have let it go a bit longer. Kimbo might have lost if he got put on his back again.

MMA is a blanket deffinition . That incompasses the UFC,WEC,EliteXC,Pride. The rules differ slightly from organization to organization but basically they all fall under mma . Any type of combat fighting that involves the use of multiple styles .

lexluethar

Thank you! I was really confused by that. Do you think Kimbo Slice is over rated? Do you think they should have stopped the two fights?

el guapo

Originally Posted by LexLuethar
http:///forum/post/2630610
Thank you! I was really confused by that. Do you think Kimbo Slice is over rated? Do you think they should have stopped the two fights?

As a street fighter/internet freakshow . No kimbo is not over rated . He is a good back yard brawler with superior skills . As a legitimet MMA fighter I think he is extremely over rated . I don't think either fight was a good stop . I think the kimbo-thompson fight was over before he popped the ear. Kimbo was not checking the numerous elbows while he was on the ground . In any other organization this would have been stopped there and kimbo would have lost . Never before have I seen a fight stopped where the looser was on his feet ready to engadge and the winner laying in the middle of the ring on his back gasping for air .

earlybird

Originally Posted by EL GUAPO
http:///forum/post/2630653
As a street fighter/internet freakshow . No kimbo is not over rated . He is a good back yard brawler with superior skills . As a legitimet MMA fighter I think he is extremely over rated . I don't think either fight was a good stop . I think the kimbo-thompson fight was over before he popped the ear. Kimbo was not checking the numerous elbows while he was on the ground . In any other organization this would have been stopped there and kimbo would have lost . Never before have I seen a fight stopped where the looser was on his feet ready to engadge and the winner laying in the middle of the ring on his back gasping for air .
EXACTLY. MMA is a big money maker like boxing was when it was big. Now with the internet it's rollin in the cash. However, if not careful, the MMA might follow boxing and fall out and it might happen sooner. Boxing got into trouble with all the different leagues and titles that it was tough to keep track and it watered down the talent. What we saw on Saturday night was truly weak as far as the product MMA wants to be shown. It was more like a tough man fight. UFC has by far the best product. I've caught a few fights on spike and on ppv at friends on occasion but I don't watch very much. UFC needs to corner the market better than it does if they want to make this last.

aquaknight

I think the sport of MMA in it's self is great. I really like the fact that they going into detail about the training and commitment these guys(and gals) make to the sport. Something my generation and the younger generation could really use. I think the target demographic is more males 18-25 then teenage males, but either way, if it gets them off the streets and into the gym and actually teaches them some rules and discipline, what's not to love?
That said, the show itself needs a lot of work. Yea, the fact that first fight was till at least 15 minutes in was ridiculous. With the except of the Scott Steel and Kimbo fights the other three were called correctly. You could tell that Jon Murphy and Villasenor clearly won and Gina's(Crush) opponent's face need attention quickly.
For the Kimbo match, I don't understand it at all. Thompson lost to Murphy on the last EliteXC event where Kimbo fought Tank. I think they gave Kimbo an underhand lob so he'd win on the debut show. Agreed on his skills as well, he is probably the best Brawler in the sport, but lacks severely in other areas. Not sure why, as I'm sure he's got the best coaches/trainers working him full time.

lexluethar

I'm with you there. I believe that what we saw on Saturday was pretty weak. But from the aspect of it was the first MMA fight on regular TV, i was excited either way. But from a management postion, i would be pretty pissed off at the outcome. To make this big deal about the first MMA fight on regular TV, then to have two of the fights stopped prematurely was rediculous.
It was very amaturish, the stuff inbetween the fights. Ya have girls dancing and what not, but come it they looked like they were fresh out of high school and have rehearsed the routine (which was just shaking their butts) once. I think the production needs a lot of work.

earlybird

I'm sure the target demo is 14-25. They'd like for you to think it begins at 18 but prime time Saturday night on regular tv. Those 14 year olds are bigger spenders. Fortunately, I didn't catch the commercials. Thank you DVR.