I need the unbiased average americans opinion

jmick

Very cool thread! I'm not really sure if the fights this weekend brought new found interest into the sport. The growth over the last 3-4 years has been incredible and I wanna say UFC pay per view events make more $$ then boxing and might be on par with "wrestling". The draw is that a lot of these guys are very technical fighters and blend different styles together and are really good athletes. After football, MMA is probably my second sport of choice to watch on TV. The action is great, fast paced and you usually get what you expect. I also love to see different styles going at it.

ruaround

i didnt watch the fights... but from what you and other friends have told me about them i didnt miss a thing and spent the 2 hours more wisely...

Not to sound dumb here, and no I am not attempting to make fun of the sport...
But it seems like every time I flip one of these things on, it's just two guys wearing even less than boxers, rolling around on a ring hugging, then punching, then more hugging, hugging, a knee to the head, and then more hugging.
All while being sweaty and occasionally grabbing another sweaty mans front and/or behind.
Again, I have seen a combined 5 minutes of fighting, so by no means do I have any right to complain... But I just don't see what the fuss is about.

el guapo

Originally Posted by TheClemsonKid
http:///forum/post/2631346
Not to sound dumb here, and no I am not attempting to make fun of the sport...
But it seems like every time I flip one of these things on, it's just two guys wearing even less than boxers, rolling around on a ring hugging, then punching, then more hugging, hugging, a knee to the head, and then more hugging.
All while being sweaty and occasionally grabbing another sweaty mans front and/or behind.
Again, I have seen a combined 5 minutes of fighting, so by no means do I have any right to complain... But I just don't see what the fuss is about.

What exactly are you pointing out or asking ?

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by EL GUAPO
http:///forum/post/2630653
As a street fighter/internet freakshow . No kimbo is not over rated . He is a good back yard brawler with superior skills . As a legitimet MMA fighter I think he is extremely over rated . I don't think either fight was a good stop . I think the kimbo-thompson fight was over before he popped the ear. Kimbo was not checking the numerous elbows while he was on the ground . In any other organization this would have been stopped there and kimbo would have lost . Never before have I seen a fight stopped where the looser was on his feet ready to engadge and the winner laying in the middle of the ring on his back gasping for air .

I will agree Kimbo is an overrated in ring fighter. But I disagree on the fight being stopped. I felt it was stopped at the correct point. Kimbo exploded his ear. Then he threw 3 more punches hitting him hard, but he was still defending. After the third punch the other guy had dropped his hands and was no longer attempting to defend himself. His hands were at his waist and he was rocking and wobbly. Kimbo got in 3 more unabaited punches into the guy's head. The fight was stopped correctly.
I am by no means a Kimbo fan. Chuck Liddel would eat him alive...but Kimbo was beating on the guy pretty good at the end and the guy was in no position to stop further punches to his head...I don't care if he was standing, the ropes were helping him stay up....I have seen boxing fights stopped for less and those guys have thicker gloves for protection.

lexluethar

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
http:///forum/post/2631652
I will agree Kimbo is an overrated in ring fighter. But I disagree on the fight being stopped. I felt it was stopped at the correct point. Kimbo exploded his ear. Then he threw 3 more punches hitting him hard, but he was still defending. After the third punch the other guy had dropped his hands and was no longer attempting to defend himself. His hands were at his waist and he was rocking and wobbly. Kimbo got in 3 more unabaited punches into the guy's head. The fight was stopped correctly.
I am by no means a Kimbo fan. Chuck Liddel would eat him alive...but Kimbo was beating on the guy pretty good at the end and the guy was in no position to stop further punches to his head...I don't care if he was standing, the ropes were helping him stay up....I have seen boxing fights stopped for less and those guys have thicker gloves for protection.
By that standard the fight should have been stopped in the previous round while Kimbo was getting hit in the face for two minutes - although not hard blows he was not doing anything to stop the blows or defend himself.

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by LexLuethar
http:///forum/post/2631658
By that standard the fight should have been stopped in the previous round while Kimbo was getting hit in the face for two minutes - although not hard blows he was not doing anything to stop the blows or defend himself.
Had I saw that round I might agree with you, since I didn't see the round I can not comment on it.

lexluethar

Haha, no biggy. I wasn't arguing with you or calling you out, I just wanted to make my point that if the fight should have been stopped at all, it should have been called in the previous round when he was getting worked on the ground.
I agree though, even though it was bs that it was called, had Slice hit him one or two more times within 10 seconds of that combination he would have been done anyways. His ear was bleeding everywhere, he had just gotten hit about four or five times in a row and he was stumbling around after those blows. If he hadn't run into the cage side he would have been on his back - and probably out.
I have high hopes for Kimbo, he is overrated for all the hype he got for that fight, but hopefully in the next year or so he will become a major competitor. If anything the MMA did attract a few more people to the sport because of all the hype (although it didn't live up to what was expected) and advertising.

agent-x

I didn't like the fights being on a major network, CBS. Because i thought they stoped the fights way too early. If anyone was bleeding wether it was in their eyes or not, they stoped the fight. Look at the UFC for instance on Spike. I think if they are going to promote these kinds of fights let them be on channels that are going to let them be what they are.

rylan1

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
http:///forum/post/2631806
Had I saw that round I might agree with you, since I didn't see the round I can not comment on it.
Kimbo was in a tough position, but was not seriously hurt in RD2...and still defending.. I think the fight may have been stopped about 15 sec too early, but it was clear that that guy would have been knocked out, and possibably seriously hurt due to bombs he was taking and would have taken... so I am fine with it...
That ear did explode...
Kimbo still needs to grow a lot as a verstile fighter... to be able to be a top MMA'er .. however he is a "Diamond Mine" and they have to keep him fighting on big stages.... otherwise they would loose out on millions. It seems he has top trainers...they need to continue to groom him and bring up steadily..but not too fast.

earlybird

Did anyone catch the video of, what I assume to be one of the higher ups in that organization, giving a press conference after the fight? He started off saying that Thompson (?) was rushed by ambulance to a hospital and is having problems breathing. While speaking Thompson, who was supposed to be on the way to the hospital, walks in and has a seat. HA HA

el guapo

Originally Posted by earlybird
http:///forum/post/2633015
Did anyone catch the video of, what I assume to be one of the higher ups in that organization, giving a press conference after the fight? He started off saying that Thompson (?) was rushed by ambulance to a hospital and is having problems breathing. While speaking Thompson, who was supposed to be on the way to the hospital, walks in and has a seat. HA HA

Yeah I have seen that too. The guy talking is the owner of the XC . He is has some big time ties to boxing and the NJ athletic comision.
Have you herd the ESPN interview with Mergliota about the stopage ? He claims thompson was so out of it he thought the ref was kimbo hence the face slap after he broke up the fight . Total BS . He knew exactly what was going on and that he had just been screwed over . He even said that with in a few seconds of popping the ear had stopped bleeding and was under control .

kjr_trig

Slow day at work "El Crashguapo"? Thats a lot of options to choose from....I probably would have tuned in for the heck of it but I forgot about it. I heard the opponent had a glass jaw. Hell, they were talking about it on Mike and Mike on ESPN.

lexluethar

While the blows given to Kimbo while on the ground where very small (didn't phase him at all, and he kept giving the ref a thumbs up saying he was okay) I believe the rules of the sport dicated that it should have been stopped. I believe something like "if a fighter is not intelligently trying to defend himself, the fight will be stopped."
So make your own judgement based off of that. He wasn't 'out of it' and the blows all be it would have jacked my face up were fine for a 6-2 240 lb man. He wasn't protecting himself because Thompson had his arms pinned and Kimbo was too tired to try and lift Thompson up. So i don't know - all i can say is if they stopped the fight because Thompson didn't block three or four blows from Kimbo, it should have been stopped when Kimbo didn't block 30 or so blows from Thompson. Logically speaking.