I need to pump up about 5 feet. Any Powerhead will do?

joemack

I need to get a pump that will pump water from a bucket up into my tank about 5 feet off of the floor. Will any powerhead type pump work?
It does not have to be fast at all. I built a float to shut it off when its topped off.
Thanks

scotts

In a word. NO.
Kip was recently looking for a pump so I did some research. Here is the pump curve for the Iwaki30. They have a couple different varities and as you can see the pump performance curve varies depending on the model type of Iwaki30. You need a pump that can overcome the head pressure and the flow rate that you want. Unfortunately I am more versed on industrial pumps than aquarium pumps. So I cannot recommnd an aquarium pump for you. But not all pumps are created equal.
Scott

beaslbob

I use a powerhead 402 for my refugium. Not a lot of flow but it does seem to be working.

joemack

Thanks guys!! Im using a 200 GPH pump now and I had to put my bucket on a stand, about 4 inches and it makes it back in the tank. I hate doing a Mickey Mouse job so I want to get a better pump soon. Thanks again!

jarvis

I use a hagen 802 it has more than enough power for what your looking for. Also a 5/8 OSD tubing fits nicely into the output. You can probobly get by with a 402.