I need to raise my salinity.

soccerbo24

I do not have an RODI unit yet, I only have a 29 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump so it doesn't cost that much to do a water change but the problem is where I get the water the have a really low salinity! At 1.020 or 1.021 so that is the salinity of my tank I really need to raise it for my corals to thrive if I buy salt mix can I mix it in with the stores water to raise it?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What are you using to measure salinity? You should mix salt water in a separate dedicated container, such as another aquarium, or even a Rubbermaid container. Use a small pump (not an air pump) for water circulation. Allow the salt to mix for at least 24 hrs, 48 is better. In your situation, you want to gradually bring the salt up over the course of a few days by adding the fresh mix water to your system.

I am moving your topic to the New Hobbyists forum as you've posted in the Off-Topic here.

snakeblitz33

I would use the fish stores water to raise the salinity...

buy some saltwater and top off your tank as the water evaporates. Top it off and then measure the salinity each time you do it so that you can get it up to your goal. I would use a refractometer.

Then, buy a dedicated 10g aquarium to mix your saltwater in - a strong pump will work much better to mix salt into the water. Follow the directions on the container of salt on how to mix it...

Also, the container might mention it, but I will here too... you add salt to water, not water to salt. Fill the 10g tank with the appropriate amount of water, turn on the pump, add the salt.

jay0705

I use old salt buckets to mix my water but I use alot more salt than u would need lol. Also I have heard u should use cold water to mix it. Something w trace elements dissolving better

soccerbo24

What would be a good size pump? I do 10 gallon water changed once a month I have a large enough container to mix the stores saltwater and some salt I add but not sure how big the pump would need to be

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It depends on the size of your container and how much water volume you are circulating.

What are you using to measure the store's salinity? Why are they keeping salinity so low?

jay0705

My lfs does the same thing. Fish tanks are usually 1,019-1,020. Inverts are normal tho 1.023 ish. They say its to help fight disease. I got a kole tang direct from my lfs supplier, it never came out of the shipping bag until I got home. I checked its salinty, 1.018!!!!! It took me 3 hrs to get it up to my tanks 1.022