I need water help NOW!!!!

kstiffler

i have never had this happen since i have been into salt water tanks. I set up a 40gal tank for my GF about 6 months ago and now all of the sudden the water smells stale. and i can't figure out what could be doing this. the water if find for like 2 days after i do a water change but then goes back to being stale smelling.I know it isn't the filter setup because she is using the same setup as me and my tank has never had this problem. So i would appreciate and help that you guys cold give me on this issue. you can reply here or e-mail me at Evil88rx7@aol.com or the same name on AIM. :happyfish
BTW the 2 fish,and hermit crabs and snails are doing fine even though the water is stale.
KyLe

kstiffler

i'm off for the night i will check my e-mails and post on here tomorrow. if u have an ideas on why this is happening let me know ASAP

murph

Is the tank completely enclosed by a glass top. If so the first whiff your going to get when you lift it is almost always going to smell a bit stale. Like opening a closet you have had closed up in your house for some time. And hot air at that.
Open a window. On the aquarium that is. Just like you get the musty smell out of your closet. Just dont use moth balls

kstiffler

the water smell musty thats what i mean by stale ie stagnant. and i don't know what her current ph levels are

miked0523

If the water has a yellow tint you may need more carbon. Is their any place you could put a mesh bag filled with activated carbon in your filter.

kstiffler

there is a place i can put the carbon. But the water doesn't have a yellow tint i'm gonna take the test kit out there and see what the ph, and stuff says.thanks for you help