I ordered live rock. not enough?

tigerlover

I ordered live rock from california just over a week ago, only problem is, I only ordered 20lbs. of it for a 30gal tank. According to the website and feedback, the stuff is premium, the best you can buy, ect., my guess would be an indication that the stuff is real light. So anyways, I plan on adding the corals to it(you know, with all the rocks attached) My question is, if this rock is what they say it is, did I order too much? Not enough?

verde_ad

It won't be too much. It might be not enough, but you will just have to wait and see. I have a 30 gal with about 25lbs of really nice rock and I think it needs more. When tanks are really full of rock I personaly think they look better. JMHO

shawna

tiger, what kind of live rock and from where? I've got about 140 lobs of basicly base (big time colapse of my lil 90) and just 55 of great looking rock. if it doesn't come back in the next few months I'll be looking for more. thanks,
shawna
oh just because I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask you can e mail me at shawna@voicenet.com thanks lots!

tigerlover

I'm not really expecting over the top, I just worry about balancing room and position for coral and swimming room for fish. If its not enough I'm thinking a sort of loose and open "wall" towards the back so my fish can have swimming room and private space and my corals can go up higher.

kaotik

most tanks ive seen that look really nice have about 2lbs of LR per gallon. But it all depends on the density and shape of each rock. Also depends on what you like.

jeremyglen

Hopefully you get a few big rocks and lots of smaller ones. I've bought 25# before and recieved like 4 or 5 rocks. Your going to want 1.25-1.75# per gallon to make it look like the picture in your head I'm sure. Once you start getting the corals, you'll do some rearranging, but set your tank up with holes that can be filled in throughout the water column. I have a bridge and a couple of caves in my tank that look really cool.

golfish

Originally posted by Tigerlover
I ordered live rock from california just over a week ago

OMG, not from California:eek: Who did you order it from? Do you know what "brand" it is..If they said it was "Premium" then its probably Fiji. Its not the lightest rock but I think its one of the best. If you can, call them up and change your order, ask them to trans ship you a whole box (about 45 pounds) you might as well cure it all now.

tigerlover

golfish, I got it off of a site I found on ----, according to them, it's precured and still has a ton of good stuff on it, coralline, frags, starfish, crabs, ect.( I'm hoping this is true, they've got plenty of "satisfied customers")(I think)
Sadly, I can't change my order though, cuz it was a bid thing and I had to pay w/check, so it would take forever to get it even if I could
OH well:D

golfish

Just remember, the only cured rock you can get is from a local dealer. Once its shipped its going to need to be cured again. It might not be as bad as trans shipped rock but your going to se a spike when you add it.
Yes, you can chop all you want.

tigerlover

Thanks for the info, but I don't think it'll be too much of a problem, it'll just help with the cycling:yes: I don't have anything living in there, except bacteria

shawna

tigerlover, thanks for the info! sorry my email is fighting with me! hope you get tons of hitch hikers!

wax32

I put 35 pounds in my 29 and it looked empty. As I add corals that are attached to rocks (mostly zoanthids) the tank seems to be filling up nicely.