I really did this "bass ackwards"

nah2o

After moving to a new home, I started getting all my supplies together to set both my SW tanks back up. Didn't know exactly how long it would be before I could get rock, sand, (I had CC before) etc, so I went on an made my water up and put it in both tanks (40g and 75g) at least so the seals on the tank wouldn't go dry. So now, both tanks are full of water, and I have found some sand. What's the least path of resistance to follow to make sure my tank doesn't end up all that cloudy. If there is not one, I suppose I will just have to wait until it clears up.

pokke

Mostly brace yourself for cloudy water.
I've read where some have used a length of 2 or 3 inch pvc pipe to 'feed' the sand into the tank. It is supposed to help with the cloudy water syndrome.
I recently did sand in a full tank and it took about a week or so to clear up. Then another week to stop clouding every time something moved in the tank. Like everything seems to be in this hobby, it just takes time.

demosthenes

Okay, here's the best way to do it, IME, that is. You will need to take out the water, there's no avoiding that. Use, if you have them, the large tank-only trash cans that most use to mix up new batches of RO water. Siphon or pump out the water from one of your tanks into the trash can(s). Then place the sand in. Depending on the depth of the DSB, you can leave in some water, but be sure it won't get the top layer of sand, you want a DRY top layer. Here comes the tricky part. Once the sand layer is even or sloped like you like it, you need to place a thin, large plastic covering over the entire sandbed. When I did this in an old 20G awhile back, I used saran wrap because that's all I could get ahold of in a pinch, but you can probably find something non-toxic at a Home Depot, Lowes, or Menards. However, if you don't find anything, just go get a thing of Saran Wrap and indeed use that, as it works well. Once you have the sandbed entirely covered, and don't skimp on the covering, place a lot of small rocks, or anything heavy enough that it won't float once it gets covered in water, and place them on the covering near the corners, edges, and any areas that you needed to overlap the Saran Wrap or alternative. Them simply fill the tank. Once it is full, remove the weights and then take the plastic off. Be sure to simply cover the sandbed, and not to tuck it into corners or edges, as if you do this, it will disturb the sandbed and may cause minor clouding issues. Once you have the first tank done, use the trash can for the other tank, and repeat the process.

acez28

i added my sand while water was in the tank. Put the whole bag of sand in the water. Use a box cutter to cut the bag in half, and then spread it evenly. Mine got a little cloudy but i could still see through it and it was perfectly clear within an hour.

nah2o

I was actually working that one out in my own mind! I'm going to have to "wait" anyway, so I just figured I would dump the sand in and be prepared for the wait. Thanks for all the good tips anyway..........;