I should know this but I can't remember lol

Why is it that we need so much LR in our tanks?? I have a 45G with about 45lbs of live rock. It's been this way for about a year now. Do I need more? What are everyone's thoughts on this?

loopy101

you should be fine with what you have for live rock. live rock gives more surface area for bacteria to grow on, part of the biologic filtration

spanko

The biofiltering bacteria in our tanks reside on the hard surface areas within the tank. The more rock the larger biofilter your tank is capable of housing. But remember that the bacteria colony will only be as large as needed by the system and that you can overwhelm the tanks biofilter by having too large a bio load that there is not enough bio filter for, read overstocking here.

uneverno

I disagree w/ both answers in that they're incomplete.
loopy101 - how do you know she should be fine w/ what she has? There are too many assumptions to be made to arrive at that conclusion.
Henry - I especially hate to disagree w/ you, but you've only pointed out 1/3 of the equation. What you say is true, but that's also dependent on how quickly additional bioload is added. Too much too soon will overwhelm the tank whether or not it can potentially take it long term.
Additionally, there's a "law of diminishing returns" on how much can be added vis a vis the amount of live rock in the tank. I.e., simply adding more live rock does not guarantee additional bioload capacity.

extinct 1ne

I have a 55g with about 55 lbs. of live rock and it's been doing pretty good. Most people say 1-2 lbs. per gallon, so going by that you are fine with what you have...

uneverno

1-2 lbs/gal. Given what we know, not guaranteed fine by any means - bare minimum.
A deep sand bed in a 45gal tank?
I'm sure it can be done. How deep? What are the tank's dimensions? How much water capacity is being replaced w/ sand / rock, what is the water turnover in gph, how many devices, etc?
Again, assumptions.

loopy101

Originally Posted by uneverno
http:///forum/post/3116543
I disagree w/ both answers in that they're incomplete.
loopy101 - how do you know she should be fine w/ what she has? There are too many assumptions to be made to arrive at that conclusion.
Henry - I especially hate to disagree w/ you, but you've only pointed out 1/3 of the equation. What you say is true, but that's also dependent on how quickly additional bioload is added. Too much too soon will overwhelm the tank whether or not it can potentially take it long term.
Additionally, there's a "law of diminishing returns" on how much can be added vis a vis the amount of live rock in the tank. I.e., simply adding more live rock does not guarantee additional bioload capacity.
You are correct i did make a assumption on how much live rock is needed for her 45 gal tank. But i guess i would tend to think that with 2 fish and few inverts that is stated in her profile that 45 lbs of live rock would be more then enough surface area to house the bacteria needed for her bioload.

extinct 1ne

Originally Posted by loopy101
http:///forum/post/3116765
You are correct i did make a assumption on how much live rock is needed for her 45 gal tank. But i guess i would tend to think that with 2 fish and few inverts that is stated in her profile that 45 lbs of live rock would be more then enough surface area to comply with her bioload.

uneverno

I hear ya. I just don't assume that people update their profiles. I haven't updated mine since I joined, and my tank has changed substantially.

Originally Posted by uneverno
http:///forum/post/3117505
I hear ya. I just don't assume that people update their profiles. I haven't updated mine since I joined, and my tank has changed substantially.
that's true. I actually have 2 clowns, 2 SW mollies, and a Coral Beauty in a quarantine tank.