i think i have ich

nicole05

i was reading that people use fresh garlic to help this i have some in a jar is this safe and is there a picture of ich somewhere to see if thats it for sure my levels have spiked adn have had too many fish die in last couple of days (5) but my question is just about the ich but not sure if it is ich its just a like case of it right now but a pic would help me any help will be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alyssia

Their should be a pic in the diseased fish thread. For the garlic you need to buy a garlic clove and squeeze the juice out, soak the food in it and feed 3 times a day.

nicole05

Originally Posted by alyssia
Their should be a pic in the diseased fish thread. For the garlic you need to buy a garlic clove and squeeze the juice out, soak the food in it and feed 3 times a day.

can i use caned garlic (in a glass jar) its minced with juice

alyssia

Originally Posted by nicole05
can i use caned garlic (in a glass jar) its minced with juice

IDK, I've never heard of anyone using that

lion_crazz

I would get either Garlic Xtreme or fresh garlic cloves. I would not use the bottled stuff only because I am not familiar with this.
Also, you may want to pick up some Turbo Start to get your levels down and stabilized.

fuppets

How did the garlic work for you? My fish are starting to show ich signs and I have read that the garlic extreme is a display tank safe cure.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by Fuppets
How did the garlic work for you? My fish are starting to show ich signs and I have read that the garlic extreme is a display tank safe cure.
Garlic Xtreme is safe with anything because it is all natural. All it is is garlic, and as long as you do not overdose it, you are fine.

pallan

Originally Posted by Fuppets
Im not sure its a cure but more of a preventative measure. the parasites will most likely remain in the tank until the tank has been fishless for several weeks. from what ive read and seen the garlic additive will help the fish fight off the infection by boosting their immune system, or confusing the parasite
i read one article that garlic when added to a horses food causes it to not be bitten as much by flys and mosquitos. they thought it might have something to do with the change in the hosts blood smell to the parasite. maybe same thing with fish i dunno. kind of funny the same thing that works for blood sucking parasites (deters them) is the same thing that old myths say deters vampires.
anyway the parasites probally still in the tank until hosts are removed long enough for it to go thru its life cycle. Garlic may just help to fight them off.
So far it has helped me Im a believer.

unleashed

Originally Posted by seannmelly
It does work w/ horses, but it also makes the horse smell like garlic too! lol
hmm whats worse the smell of fish or fish dipped in garlic lol