I think I made a mistake!!!

shtank

I recently switched substrates from a coarse cc to a superfine sand.
mianly because I thought it looked good. And now im constantly blowing off my rock and stuff between an engineer goby and my clowns it looks like its snowing in my tank

WHAT SHOULD I DO???
55gal
70ib LR
20 sump
2 koraleas

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by Shtank
http:///forum/post/2974785
I recently switched substrates from a coarse cc to a superfine sand.
mianly because I thought it looked good. And now im constantly blowing off my rock and stuff between an engineer goby and my clowns it looks like its snowing in my tank

WHAT SHOULD I DO???
55gal
70ib LR
20 sump
2 koraleas
I have the same problem...the sand was on sale...my picasso trigger loves to blow it around
. Only solution I see...pull out the old and add new coarser sand.

shtank

Do you know of a good sand this time im going to do my home work.
i want it to look white if i can

cufishfan

Did you get rid of the CC? I had CC in my 55 gal and then upgraded to a 75g. I added about 35 lbs of fine sand and most of the CC from my old tank and it makes an interesting mix and the CC seems to help keep the sand from blowing around too much.
And if you don't like the CC at all, you could probably add in some coarser sand without removing all of the superfine sand (which would be such a pain).

flower

I have fine sand. My goby drops it as he travels around in the tank. Point your power heads at the rock.
I also use koralia power heads, they are easy to point where you want them and they stay in place with a suction cup and magnet.
The sand will blow off on its own and not cloud the tank. As the goby drops it, it won't land much on the rock at all.
I also secure my coral with reef safe epoxy. Otherwise coral my may land in the sand.
I hated the coarse stuff, it collected algae.

nate0729

you could get a bag of some larger grade and just put it on top to keep it from blowing instead of taking the sugar sand out. Keep ya from wasting the money on the fine sand.