I think I messed up

T

tiff*

I bought what I think is goniopora. My first impulse buy. The LFS told me its pretty hardy. Now from doing research I think I bought a coral I have no chance in the world with. Can someone ID it for me? Sorry these are the best pics I have

valgae

yes looks like gonipora. gonipora has 24 fingers alevopora has 12. what kind of lighting do you have? tank size?

T

tiff*

It has opened a lot more. I have a 24 gal AP. From doing research I know it's gonna die.
Should have just gotten the frog spawn

nycbob

definitely leave it on the sandbed. it doesnt need much light at all in regard to mh or t5. ur pc light will be fine with it. is this a matured tank? its really 50/50 when it comes to this coral. they seem to do better in an older tank with heavy bioload. most people who hv this coral see it dying within 6 months.

C

cmaxwell39

Yes it is a gonipora. I second what nycbob said. I guess the best that you can do now is try to learn as much as possible to keep it alive and enjoy it while you have it.

T

tiff*

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/2947403
definitely leave it on the sandbed. it doesnt need much light at all in regard to mh or t5. ur pc light will be fine with it. is this a matured tank? its really 50/50 when it comes to this coral. they seem to do better in an older tank with heavy bioload. most people who hv this coral see it dying within 6 months.

The tank is 4 months old exploding with coraline everywhere. I have kenya tree, zoos and red and green mushrooms. I only have 3 fish, an emerald and hermits.

doc308

Tiff, I know what you mean. Everyone I read talking about gonioporas talks about how they all die within a short period of time. I've had quite the opposite experience. I've had my goniopora for the last 2 months which is not very long at all, but from all accounts, including wet web media, if it's growing in size and keeping it's tentacles extended, it's not dying. Mine appears to be probably the same type as yours, or at least very close in variety. I got a contact for a man who grows and sells many of them and claims to have kept more than a few individuals for 2-3 years. I've followed his advice to a T and so far the thing is not only healthy, but has doubled in size since I bought it.
Here's what I'm doing:
--First off, I'm using Aqualife Complete water conditioner once a week. This is improving overall water quality. I'm also using Nitromax by Tropical Sciences twice a week to keep beneficial bacteria flourising. I'm also using Boyd's Vita-Chem for vitamins and minerals. I have heard some say here that these items are unnecessary if water changes are done properly, but for me, my experience is quite extraordinary...not only have I gone through 2 cycles without any serious adverse effects to the fauna in my system, but it has since stabilized and there has been no change in the water parameters in almost a month. I'm told stability is what determines goniopora survival just as much as anything else.
--I'm doing weekly 10% water changes to keep minerals in the system and taking out at least some dissolved organics.
--I'm feeding each polyp every day. Very time consuming, but I'm already feeding a gorgon daily, so it's only a few minutes extra. I'm feeding with a combination of Brightwell Aquatics formula S, L and Phytogreens. I mix this all together and then add DT's oyster eggs to it, then using a pipette I gently feed each polyp. I make sure to turn off all pumps then wait 5 mins while I prepare food, feed, then leave pumps off for another 15 mins. When it's feeding, the "fingers" around each tentacle mouth draw in and the arm slightly and slowly retracts. It turns a very slightly darker color after eating and then within a few minutes the tentacles come out again. From my understanding, this is one creature that cannot be NOT fed.
--I make sure that the flowerpot has sufficient water flow, but not direct, nor strong. I had a koralia in my 24 nano, but no matter how I turned it, the flowerpot was too agitated. So I dumped the koralia (anyone want to buy it cheap before it goes to ----? LOL).
--I returned my clownfish immediately when it decided to host my flowerpot (the flowerpot was there first!). This was my fault of not researching that clowns host flowerpots!
--I also make sure that it has plenty of room with nothing touching it. Nothing is there that will sting it or bother it.
--I have an iodine additive just in case it gets any injuries. I also have a quarantine tank if I see any brown oozing jelly coming off of it, or if I happen to see any newly exposed skeleton under the green skin.
--I have a mild hair algae problem going on right now and I'm not under any circumstances doing any chemical treatments. I increased my clean up crew by 3 snails and 1 small urchin as well as removing it by hand and that's all.
--I keep checking my water quality and so far it's good. pH is 8.1, carbonate hardness is 3.3, magnesium is 1100, calcium is 425, nitrates nitrite ammonia zero, salinity 1.023, temp is set to 79 degrees.
That's all I'm doing that I can remember. I hope that helps!
The first pic is the first few days after I got it home. The last pic is the most recent.

T

tiff*

Originally Posted by doc308
http:///forum/post/2947905
Tiff, I know what you mean. Everyone I read talking about gonioporas talks about how they all die within a short period of time. I've had quite the opposite experience. I've had my goniopora for the last 2 months which is not very long at all, but from all accounts, including wet web media, if it's growing in size and keeping it's tentacles extended, it's not dying. Mine appears to be probably the same type as yours, or at least very close in variety. I got a contact for a man who grows and sells many of them and claims to have kept more than a few individuals for 2-3 years. I've followed his advice to a T and so far the thing is not only healthy, but has doubled in size since I bought it.
Here's what I'm doing:
--First off, I'm using Aqualife Complete water conditioner once a week. This is improving overall water quality. I'm also using Nitromax by Tropical Sciences twice a week to keep beneficial bacteria flourising. I'm also using Boyd's Vita-Chem for vitamins and minerals. I have heard some say here that these items are unnecessary if water changes are done properly, but for me, my experience is quite extraordinary...not only have I gone through 2 cycles without any serious adverse effects to the fauna in my system, but it has since stabilized and there has been no change in the water parameters in almost a month. I'm told stability is what determines goniopora survival just as much as anything else.
--I'm doing weekly 10% water changes to keep minerals in the system and taking out at least some dissolved organics.
--I'm feeding each polyp every day. Very time consuming, but I'm already feeding a gorgon daily, so it's only a few minutes extra. I'm feeding with a combination of Brightwell Aquatics formula S, L and Phytogreens. I mix this all together and then add DT's oyster eggs to it, then using a pipette I gently feed each polyp. I make sure to turn off all pumps then wait 5 mins while I prepare food, feed, then leave pumps off for another 15 mins. When it's feeding, the "fingers" around each tentacle mouth draw in and the arm slightly and slowly retracts. It turns a very slightly darker color after eating and then within a few minutes the tentacles come out again. From my understanding, this is one creature that cannot be NOT fed.
--I make sure that the flowerpot has sufficient water flow, but not direct, nor strong. I had a koralia in my 24 nano, but no matter how I turned it, the flowerpot was too agitated. So I dumped the koralia (anyone want to buy it cheap before it goes to ----? LOL).
--I returned my clownfish immediately when it decided to host my flowerpot (the flowerpot was there first!). This was my fault of not researching that clowns host flowerpots!
--I also make sure that it has plenty of room with nothing touching it. Nothing is there that will sting it or bother it.
--I have an iodine additive just in case it gets any injuries. I also have a quarantine tank if I see any brown oozing jelly coming off of it, or if I happen to see any newly exposed skeleton under the green skin.
--I have a mild hair algae problem going on right now and I'm not under any circumstances doing any chemical treatments. I increased my clean up crew by 3 snails and 1 small urchin as well as removing it by hand and that's all.r />
--I keep checking my water quality and so far it's good. pH is 8.1, carbonate hardness is 3.3, magnesium is 1100, calcium is 425, nitrates nitrite ammonia zero, salinity 1.023, temp is set to 79 degrees.
That's all I'm doing that I can remember. I hope that helps!
The first pic is the first few days after I got it home. The last pic is the most recent.

Holy cow that is the best info I have ever found. I am going to confess I did but them for my clowns, cause the one at the LFS loved it. Mine hasn't touched it yet. And please no one call the police this is the first time in the year I have been dealing with tanks I made an impulse buy.
The LFS told me they don't need fed (apparently they do) oh boy. My very experienced friend said it's gonna die. (i think so too, only because I worry so much about everything dying) but I will do my best to care for it while I have it. Its dark in my tank and the polyps are all still open. It looks so cool. I'm going to print out your advice at work tomorrow to always have it on hand.

ms_nut

I've had Goniopora for a long time now.. i've had it for more than a year.During it's first month, it seemed to wither away and i was diasppointed.It didn't come out from its skeleton for two whole months.I then placed it on the sand, like a lot of people suggested and fed it oyster eggs and phytoplankton and it's came back like a phoenix from the ashes..Now it's doing very well..

ryancw01

I am not sure if the red ones are easier to take care of or what, but I have had a red Goniopora for a long time with no problems. It opened up right away when I put it in and never looks bad unless my emerald crab decides to perch up on it. I don't feed my corals anything. Just a lot of flow inside the tank and a refugium.