i think i might....

florida joe

My good friend this is the dilemma we all face when we try to mimic the open reef. Do we want corals and all their beauty and fish compatible or do we want fish in all their beauty. So I ask you are you looking for a reef tank or a tank with amazing fish. If the answer is fish then I say go with the cross hatch but my friend please understand this post is brought to you courtesy of Joe and Jack Denials

cranberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/387524/i-think-i-might#post_3416261
Why, what's wrong with a toadfish? They are very interesting fish.. and if you want aggressive, a toadfish is the definition. No fish will bother one because they lay on the rocks... but a toad could easily defend themselves....
Toad fish aren't aggressive AT ALL. By no means are they the definition of an aggressive fish. They are predators. Their spines are for defence not offence and they really are a gentle fish.
Not only is he a predator, but he's a big mouthed predator. I would not put him in your tank as you will limit your tankmates... or he will limit them for you.

deejeff442

i would plan 6-8 inch fish for the 250 fowlr.only 4-5 fish so he would be fine as long as he is not picked on.i have never had a toad but they look pretty cool.i just want to have 4-5 fish that you dont see too often

S

siptang

Hi Jeff, clown trigger would be an awesome addition to your tank!
I had two clown triggers in the past and they have been very chilled and were VERY passive.
It would even leave my chromis alone when I had chromis in my tank. I also feed heavy so that may be the thing there but I got them when they were extremely tiny. (quarter size for like $40)
They grow quick and imho, it's better when it's smaller so you can see the growth, for it to get used to your feeding better and it's price.
No lions like you said since they do tend to nip at the fins.
I do have my tangs with the clown and they get along really well.
Say goodbye to your cuc lol.
Aggressive tanks are cool and easy to maintain because these fish are generally super hardy.
Also you can get the red corris wrass that you always wanted!
I saw one at my lfs for $20 this Sunday and was thinking about you buddy.
Let me know what you planning!
Richard.

kjr_trig

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/387524/i-think-i-might#post_3416261
Why, what's wrong with a toadfish? They are very interesting fish.. and if you want aggressive, a toadfish is the definition. No fish will bother one because they lay on the rocks... but a toad could easily defend themselves.... Panther Groupers are not ugly as adults. But I guess that is personal opinion. I have to agree with the puffer idea...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///t/387524/i-think-i-might/20#post_3416695
Toad fish aren't aggressive AT ALL. By no means are they the definition of an aggressive fish. They are predators. Their spines are for defence not offence and they really are a gentle fish.
Not only is he a predator, but he's a big mouthed predator. I would not put him in your tank as you will limit your tankmates... or he will limit them for you.
I'm worried about the Toadfish, as Cranberry said they "predatory fish", but not "aggressive"....Just like Lionfish don't belong with aggressive Triggers, nor do Toadfish. As I said earlier Clown Triggers can brutalize slow moving or awkward fish. I'm not worried about what a Toadfish would do to a CT, I'm worried the CT would bully and kill the Toadfish.

deejeff442

well its a ways off but .maybe start to plan the tank now.i think i will scratch the clown trigger
thinking as of now.
pair of crosshatch triggers
red coris
snowflake ell( most mellow of the eels)
large angel
5 fish ( well 4 fish and an eel)
what do you think of this list?

kjr_trig

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe http:///t/387524/i-think-i-might/20#post_3416508
My good friend this is the dilemma we all face when we try to mimic the open reef. Do we want corals and all their beauty and fish compatible or do we want fish in all their beauty. So I ask you are you looking for a reef tank or a tank with amazing fish. If the answer is fish then I say go with the cross hatch but my friend please understand this post is brought to you courtesy of Joe and Jack Denials
As I own a beautiful Crosshatch Pair, I will shockingly disagree.....Clown Trigger may be my favorite fish in the hobby. Bizarre looking, and stunningly beautiful fish, with the amazing Trigger personality. I know CT's are Ballistoides genus, but personality wise, I think they are very similar the the Rhinecanthus genus (the Huma's) which I think are the most entertaining of the Triggers.
What I'm saying is I would rather have a CT than my Crosshatch, but I wouldn't fully trust one with some of the fish I have.

kjr_trig

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///t/387524/i-think-i-might/20#post_3417199
well its a ways off but .maybe start to plan the tank now.i think i will scratch the clown trigger
thinking as of now.
pair of crosshatch triggers
red coris
snowflake ell( most mellow of the eels)
large angel
5 fish ( well 4 fish and an eel)
what do you think of this list?
It's a good tank, but I still like the Clown Trigger in there!!
For good measure here are my crosshatch pair.