I think ick is back!

coral keeper

Heres how it gos, my fish got ick 8 weeks ago, first 5 weeks past then i started to put the SG back to 1.025 and then when it was at around 1.013 they got ick, now 3 weeks later today, i started to get the SG back to 1.025 slowly i started doing this 2 days ago, now the SG is a 1.011 my angel fish has one white dot i dont think its ick not sure, its on the surface of the fish and is a big white bump. What should i do? What could it be? Here is the following fish in the 25 gallon tank, 2 yellow taild damsels they are around 1-1 1/2 inches long, 1 coral beuty angelfish about 2-3 inches long, 1 foxface thats 2 inches long, I got 2 pieaceas of rocks for the fish to hide and 2-3 inches of sand. Should i get the SG back to 1.008 and do hypo again? I am feeding them home made fish food, this is whats in the fish food, shrimp, squid, seaweed, salmon, and garlic. I feed my fox face with seaweed everyday and the angel fish also eats some seaweed. What should i do?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
Heres how it gos, my fish got ick 8 weeks ago, first 5 weeks past then i started to put the SG back to 1.025 and then when it was at around 1.013 they got ick, now 3 weeks later today, i started to get the SG back to 1.025 slowly i started doing this 2 days ago, now the SG is a 1.011 my angel fish has one white dot i dont think its ick not sure, its on the surface of the fish and is a big white bump. What should i do? What could it be? Here is the following fish in the 25 gallon tank, 2 yellow taild damsels they are around 1-1 1/2 inches long, 1 coral beuty angelfish about 2-3 inches long, 1 foxface thats 2 inches long, I got 2 pieaceas of rocks for the fish to hide and 2-3 inches of sand. Should i get the SG back to 1.008 and do hypo again? I am feeding them home made fish food, this is whats in the fish food, shrimp, squid, seaweed, salmon, and garlic. I feed my fox face with seaweed everyday and the angel fish also eats some seaweed. What should i do?
Take a good look at his spot with a magnifying glass. See if it is smooth and round or if it is clumpy and it looks like the skin is eroding. Being you asked if you should drop the SG to 1.008, I would like you to describe how you did hypo before. How often did you monitor he SG? Did it drop below 1.009?

coral keeper

I check the SG every day, not that much water evaporats because its all closed up. It did drop below 1.009. Ill check out the white spot tomorrow, the lights are off in the tank.

sepulatian

I check the SG every day, not that much water evaporats because its all closed up. It did drop below 1.009. Ill check out the white spot tomorrow, the lights are off in the tank.
If it is all closed up then how do you get oxygen in? Pumps pump whatever is in there through. If it is all closed up then you may have a severy lack of oxygen. Even with a powerhead on, it would be blowing oxygen deficient water around.

coral keeper

I looked at the spot, its a white spot and around twice as big as the dot thats going to be at the end of the sentence, the white spot in a bump.

sepulatian

I have a air bubbler so they are getting enough oxygen.
By an air bubbler, do you mean that you have an air stone or do you have a powerhead? Air stones are no where near adequate for a salt tank. If you have an airstone in a tank that is mostly sealed then your fish are lacking oxygen. I will explain why. Air stones flow streight up. This works in FW. In SW the water is very dense. The water is heavier than the oxygen. The oxygen rises to the surface. A powerhead blows across the tank. It takes a lot of force to blow oxygen through saltwater. You have to have at least 2 powerheads, one on either end of the tank, to be sure that oxygen reaches all areas of the tank. Is the bump smooth and round or clumpy looking?

coral keeper

Its a smoot white bump. Today when i woke up there was 2 or 3 of the same spots but right near the first spot. Its a 25 gallon H I got one power head filter in there, and its pumping air all around the tank and im using thos very long air stones, Its a air stone bar its about a foot long, so they are getting plenty of oxygen. Should i do hypo and see what happens?

sepulatian

Its a smoot white bump. Today when i woke up there was 2 or 3 of the same spots but right near the first spot. Its a 25 gallon H I got one power head filter in there, and its pumping air all around the tank and im using thos very long air stones, Its a air stone bar its about a foot long, so they are getting plenty of oxygen. Should i do hypo and see what happens?
Air stones are not good to use. Fish can get popeye from the upward flow. Believe it or not, that airstone is doing absolutely nothing for oxygen in the water. Please trust me. It may look like it, but the air is in the bubbles. With the preasure of high density water, the bubbles do not break until they reach the surface. It is doing more harm than good. Get it out of there. What kind of powerhead are you using? Your fish has ich. Hyposalinity is the way to treat this. Have you read the instructions? Do you have a refractometer?

coral keeper

Odyssea EX 250 Deluxe power head, 250 ghp. Should i do hypo again, and i will take out the air stone. Yes i have read the instructions. I do not have a refractometer.

wattsupdoc

You CAN NOT do a proper hypo without a refractometor or a medical (lab) grade hydrometor. Which is probably why you still have ich. Get one calibrate it correctly and do hypo again.

coral keeper

Iv never seen any of the fish in there scratch them selves. I don't have the money to buy a refractometor or a medical (lab) grade hydrometor, i only have the glass hydrometer.

coral keeper

I think i dont have ick. The spots look too big to be ick and i lowered the SG to 1.008 and they still have those spots on them and they arent going off theres more and more and more going on them. Ill try to get a few pics of the fish. PLZ HELP ME!!!!!!!

sepulatian

I think i dont have ick. The spots look too big to be ick and i lowered the SG to 1.008 and they still have those spots on them and they arent going off theres more and more and more going on them. Ill try to get a few pics of the fish. PLZ HELP ME!!!!!!!
What do you mean by "too big"? They are not always small. Please get a pic asap. Your glass hydrometer will have to be good enough. You will have to be on top of monitoring though.

coral keeper

Right now i looked VERY VERY VERY close to the spots and where the white spots are its like the white spots are digging into the fish, its got small holes where the white spots are and the white spots with the holes are on the body not head, the foxface is PERFECTLY healthy!! The foxface dosent have not one spot or anything on it! The foxface never had any thing the day i got it. Can anyone plz help?!

If it is only in Angels it could be just a parasites. Angels tend to have them easily. My emperor ocassionally gets them but it goes away with no treatment. I suggest keep nitrates close to 20 and observe.
If it spreads then do the next step, is my advice.