I think I've found my problem! now what?

rosco

My tank has been set up now for about 7-8 months and I have been using water from one of those stations that you bring your own jug to fill up. I just took the guys advice from the pet store who said it would be good and he uses it at home. My last tank I used walmarts distilled with no problems (except lugging around the multiple gallons of water.) Well I have been having problems with my tank. My corals arent opening up all the way, loosing color, and one died. I've done everything I could think of, adding a refugium, new lights water changes, additives, trying to let it work itself out but with no luck. The whole time I've been struggling with low ph. Well today I tested the water I've been using and the ph is so low there isn't even a number to compare. the water is yellow like an amonia test. so I guess I'll be heading to walmart today. But my question is how large should my water change be. should I do a large one or slowly change overtime. My fish are hardy so they'll be fine I just dont want to shock the system anymore than i already have. Like I said I have been constantly making changes, lights, salt, current, ect.... Please help

K

kistheeze

Do a 20% every 3 or 4 days until the PH comes back up. That's slow enough in my opinion.
Then buy yourself an RO/DI unit.

jlem

Originally posted by rosco
The whole time I've been struggling with low ph. Well today I tested the water I've been using and the ph is so low there isn't even a number to compare.

Is the test kit yellow? If the test kit is yellow it is because the machines put out pure water which has a PH of 7.0. Pure water is a good thing and what you want. Get yourself some Seachem marine buffer and throw a dash of buffer in with your make up water and then test it.
A high quality RO/DI will give you pure water so you will still have to put in buffer.
Slow down on the changes. Let your tank settle itself. Once it settles down then you can slowly adjust. Slowly bring the PH up with some buffer over a couple days by adding a small scoop of buffer every other day until it brings it up to 8.0-8.3. I wouldn't do anymore water changes until the buffer brings the PH up.

conk

I change my water every two weeks. I only siphon three to four gallons of water at a time. My tank is doing well and my PH stays normal. I do check my calcium and it is a little low but my corals are doing fine. I hope this helps.:happy:

rosco

jlem your telling me that ro/di will give me water with a ph of 7.0? As far as additives I have been using kent marine every morning and sometimes in the afternoon, it brings it up to 8.2-8.3, but it will drop back to 7.8-7.7 the next day. I had the impression that using buffers everyday was bad? thanx for your input. and to that other guy, I'm glad to hear your tanks doing good with biweekly water changes but what does that have to do with the price of eggs?

jlem

I really don't like Kent additives. I like their salt but everything else seems really watered down or low quality. I like the Seachem additives. You should check your PH in the evenings before your lights go off and check it at the same time everytime. Ph drops naturally at night so it usually does take some time each day for the PH to rise in the tank. Pure water has a PH of 7.0 ( neither acidic or alkaline ) SO if a RO/DI system is pulling out all of the medals and other stuff that makes water more alkaline then you will have lower PH

bencc

I was also using one of those ro machines that you fill your own jug and I was haveing problems in my tank. I also tried everything and finally I tested the water and it had an extremly high ammonia level. You may want to also check it for ammonia.