I think my Maroon clownfish are going to breed! Help!!

coral keeper

Hello everyone, I have had a maroon for more than a year and a half that's about 3 inches, and a few days ago, I went to the LFS and got the smallest maroon I can find which was 3/4 of an inch. I noticed they were having some minor spats. Nipping a bit, the big Maroon badgering the small Maroon to move, and the small maroon in turn placing his body parallel to the big maroon and what looked to be quivering with fear. I then went on the web and started to read tons about breeding clowns. They weren't fighting like tearing each other up and like two large clowns put together that don't get along at all so this was a bit of an inclination that something else was happening. After reading on the web about the quivering and badgering I quickly came to the conclusion that they were looking for a place to lay eggs. The big maroon(female) starts to dig in the sand under a cave near her xenia rock. The hole shes making looks exactly like a birds nest, but its just made out of sand. Here is a link to my diary.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/322862/coral-keepers-28-gallon-nano-cube-hqi-diary

oceana

well there really is not much to do until they lay eggs.
chances are they are not mating just yet. sounds more like they are establishing whos boss. they can hook up that fast but it does not happen very often thats for sure. all you need to do is wait and see what happens. dont get to excited becasue this little dance can go on for quite some time and even then there is no sure bet that they will lay eggs
wait till you see them lay some eegs and then plan to harvest if you want to raise them. chances are you wont be able to collect and raise the first batch of eggs but once they start it will be like clock work in no time at all. Read up and invest and you will be ready for the 2nd or third batch.