I think my NEW cleaner shrimp is dead!

michaud65

I just got a cleaner shrimp today from swf.com and acclimated him exactly how I was instructed to do from this site. He was alive when I started acclimating him but when he went into the tank he looked dead. Right now he has about 4 snails on him and is not moving at all. I know some of you have said that it may take him some time but I want to get him out if he is dead so I can send him back. Any thoughts or ideas on what I should do? Please help....
PS...all parameters in the tank look great. I wouldn't be so worried if the snails were not have a feeding frenzy on my little shrimp!

B

big911dog

how did you acclimate him and how long for? inverts can be very fragile especially with regards to pH when introducing him to new conditions.

michaud65

I drip acclimated him for 3 hours and my pH is 8.2. I am just really confused what went wrong. Do you think he is dead since the snails are all over him? Should I remove him from the tank?

reefer545

any improvement? If not in an hour at the most, I would say try to touch him, adn if it still does not move, I hate to say it, but I think it may be doomed. Sorry,best wishes.
R545

michaud65

Thank you! I will check on him again in an hour and see if there is any improvement. I am thinking that you are right in that he is a doomer. I was really looking forward to watching him! I probably should have taken a $20 bill, cut it up in little pieces, and fed it to the snails instead...haha. Better luck next time

B

big911dog

your pH may be 8.2 but the water he came in might not have been. Sorry. No one likes losing livestock....

michaud65

Well, I gave him an hour and I have to say that he has made no improvement. I am going to take him out and give it another shot in a few weeks. Thanks everyone!