I think red alga

lrswls

I have this "algae" growing on lower rock and sides of tank. At first I thought it was the start of coraline algae because I was starting to get it the same time the red stuff showed up. Well It was pretty mich all over. Small eliptical maroon about the size of a black ant. Tonight I pulled the turkey baster out and to my surprise it just blows right off the rock..It this red algae...From searching other posts I know how to get rid of it I just want to know if this is the correct identification..Thank you

sounds like cyro. as long as you have a decent clean up crew, and good water current, you shouldn't have that problem. also, chemi-clean works great for getting rid of it.

jpcrunk

I noticed that several of you suggested a good cleanup crew to solve the red algae problem. I am fairly new to this and need some help in determining what a good cleanup crew is. I had one store try to tell me if I put around 150 snails in my tank I wouldn't have any more problem and that he could sell them to me for $300. I'm not biting!
I have 2 stars, a shrimp and a couple of hermits. I think there is a crab in there somewhere too, but not sure. I have a 125 gallon tank can someone who has been doing this a while and already solved this problem tell me the best solution. I don't think throughing chemicals at it is the solution.
I have found the best solution so far is the take small air tubing and attach it to regid tubing then suck it out. It cleans it up for about a week and then needs to be done again.
Thanks,
John
jcrunk@directvinternet.com

fusd71

you can get snails from this site for half that. 50 of them for 47.99 and if you spend 75.00 you get free shipping.

mlm

Get the trochus snails from this site. They cost more but they have a better work ethic. What kind of water do you use for toping off your tank? This could be the root of the problem.

broomer5

lrswls
It could be cynobacteria - this stuff normally grows as "sheets" or a globby mass.
There are tons of true "red" algaes that can grow in our tanks - but without a better description or photo - it can be hard to determine for sure.
How does it attach to the rock/glass ?
Is it a hard substance - does it retain it's shape when you touch it or blow it around with baster ???
Or is it a soft substanced and does not retain a definate shape when disturbed ?
What does it look like besides being the size of an ant ?
jpcrunk
I like to maintain the clean-up crew numbers to 1 janitor per pound or two of live rock if it's a reef tank. A mix of hermits, various snails, emerald crabs, shrimp, etc. One per pound seems reasonable for my tanks. It's different from everyone's tank - ya know ;)

Could it be "red slime", it would look like the name.
There is a med called something like Re Slime Away that gets rid of it quick.

jpcrunk

I don't know if it is the slime or the algae, it seems to attach more to the substrate ( a mixture of Coral and sand, more sand the coral) and the live rock more than the glass. It does not lay flat on the substrate though, it seems to have like caves and sortof dome over the substrate and then touch occasionally. When it grows long it has sorta streams, and it doesn't really look like the freshwater algae I am used to, it has more of the slime appearance.
I use a powder that comes in a zip lock bag on it the directions are 1 scope per 10 gal, and I was told it is red algae. Assuming it is the slime mentioned here, what is the correct treatment. I can not help much with a accurate description since I am colorblind so an color difference will not help me much.
Thanks,
John

jonthefb

well first off, before treatign with the chemi clean, try to eliminate the source of organics that is causign the slime to occur. what kind of freshwater are you using to mix salt/topoff? check this source water for phosphates/nitrates, as this is often the source of the excess organics. second, how often do you feed? if you feed often, and heavily any excess food that falls to the ground is going to be broken down adn the end products would be nitrates and phosphates, whcih would encourage the slime to grow. Third. how is the water flow in the problem area? do you have enough circulation? if you increased circulation, and try to eliminate the soource of the excess organics, the slime will disappear. and lastly how long are your lights on? perhaps try cutting back on the photoperiod adn see if this helps.
Use chemicals to remove the algae as a last resort only, and try to figure the problem out first.
also, a good rule of thumb to follow is one cleaner per gallon so in your 120 you should have 120 cleaners, a mix of snails, hermits, crabs(emerald/arrow), shrimp(peppermint,cleaner,etc), conch, etc. the best snails to combat redslime, IMO are nassarius, cerith, and queen and fighting conchs. For hair/green algaes, the trochus work wonders, but astreas and margaritas work well also. you ideally want to have a diverse clean up crew so that all angles are being attacked. think of it as a militarty squad. you want a demolitions guy, a sniper, a scout, many infantry, a leader, etc, each who specialze in a certain area. this is what you wanna try to acomplish with your clean-up crew!
good luck
jon

jpcrunk

I used distilled water and I don't add anything. I first considered reverse osmoses and this seemed very complicated to install so I took it back. I also have a Wet/Dry filter, the big one; and a canister filter on the aquarium. I could add some air stones if that would help, but it seems there is a lot of water flow. I could also add a couple of power heads. My thought was to do a good water change and make sure that all the excess food is out and then try and go from there. I have done this once and it didn't seem to help, but I could clean all the live rock by syphoning it off and move it all to get underneath...I generally don't do that.
My feeding schedule is about once a week and I feed shrimps to my Condes and let the others just eat the debrise.
I have a Yellow Tang that does not seem to be interested in what ever it is that is growing and I was under the impression that they were vegitarians.
John

lrswls

The red algae is taking over. It is on the sides of the tank and on the bottom. Looks like fish scales that blow off and retain their shape floating around the tank I use RO water and have from the start the phsphates are 0(maybe because the algae is using all of them)...I used the chem clean TWICE and it did NO GOOD. I will try to post photo.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I am also have a bit of cyanobacteria problem that seemed to pop up overnite. I've been working on getting rid of it for about a month, and, though the problem has gotten better, its still with me. I've basically tried the cleanup crew method, adding nassarius, cerith, and fighting conchs. I also increased water movement in the areas that I have the problem. I also use a turkey baster to try to dislodge it into the water so that the skimmer will pick it up, or to suck it up if I can. I added 20lbs of LS to my dsb. Still getting it.
I know that queen conch reallly work over the sand bed, so, as far as a detritivore, that is likely my last option.
As a last result, I guess I'll try using ChemiClean which is made by Boyd Manufacture. I haven't tried it, as I HATE having to put any chemical into my reef.
If anyone knows what the chemcial compound for ChemiClean is, please let me know.
http://www.boydenterprisesonline.com/chemiclean.html

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I just emailed Boyd and asked them about what their ingredients are.
I'll let you know if I hear back with any real info.

j21kickster

Beth,
I had a serious cyano outbreak in my 20 about 2 weeks ago- I used chemi clean and i had my fish, corals, crabs, etc in the tank. I treated 2X and it was gone and i had no deaths and everything seems fine. I also tested the water before and after to detect rising ammonia levels,( in case my bacterial colonies were harmed) All levels stayed at 0- so just a good word to relieve some tension;)
ps- my tank isnt quite that bright:)

cosmo

I think I have a cyanobacteria outbreak too! I thought it was diatoms at first so I was/am using phosphate sponge. In the morning it doesn't seem to bad, but after about an hour with my actintics on I can see a huge increase. They cover my rocks, sand, and glass. I can't stand it! I've started to leave the mh's off and cut the actintics down to 4-5 hours a day, added more cleanup crew and I'll try this for a while. I rather not use a chemical that can kill the benificial bacteria. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd be happ to hear them.
cosmo

j21kickster

cosmo- as stated in my post a i ran a little exp- and i didnt notice any harm to the other beneficial bacteria