I Think The Guy In The Fish Store Wanted To Sell Me Something

rayraypico

I WENT INTO MY LOCAL FISH STORE AND TOLD THE GUY I WAS CYCLING MY TANK WITH LIVE ROCK. HE SAYS NO YOU CAN'T DO THAT AND THAT YOU NEED TO HAVE FISH TO CREATE AMMONIA. CAN YOU CYCLE YOUR TANK WITH LIVE ROCK? DOESN'T THE DIE OFF FROM THE LIVE ROCK CREATE AMMONIA? AM I WRONG??

N

newreefers

the die off on your rock may or may not cause the ammonia spike, if you used cured lr, there may not be enough die off. most people just use a raw shrimp from the grocery store. No, you do not have to cycle with live fish, it's better if you don't.

toddpolish

from what I've read (I haven't cycled yet, but I'm close), you don't need fish. You could with some hardy fish. but you don't HAVE TO.
another trick I've read here is to take a piece of raw shrimp and throw it in the tank. (of course I haven't read about at what point you take it out...if there is anything, in fact, to take out at the end of the cycle...).

N

newreefers

toddpolish,
great minds think alike. the shrimp only needs to be inther for about 2 days untill the ammonia spikes.

nacl-man

I've stopped going to the LFS... seems everytime I go in there they want to sell me something that would require a second

[hr]
on my home :D
Shop on-line... things are a heck of a lot cheaper. Take for example the skimmer I bought at a LFS... I found it for $60 less (yes LESS, even after shipping) than I paid at my LFS... man I was P/O'd... especially since I do not have money to be throwing around!!
Cheers.

tke783

You are right on with shopping on line NaCL-Man. I just started about 6 months ago and my best advice to anyone is three things.
1. Go to LFS to find out what you want.
2. Ask people on this site what they think because they have no reason to lie.
3. Order on-line.

joerdie

i have ordered a lot on line and it almost always shows up in good condition. swf is really good for most things and they carry almost everything ive ever looked for (im not sucking up):)