I tried something new - wanted to share my results

dina12

I went to my lfs - needless to say the fish were covered in ick as usual. I "saved" 2 of them - again....
Put them in my hospital tank and put in a new medication called Life Guard made by Instant Ocean. This med claims to cure a broad spectrum of problems. 5 day treatment is suggested......
Did the 5 day and it worked great. Ick is gone.....this was 3 weeks ago - the fish are still in QT and not showing any signs of Ick.
I did run carbon after the 5 days. The Puffer I bought did great until the 4th day of treatment - he turned white.......well 2 days after the treatment ended he was back to normal and eating well. So, it does have an effect on scaleless fish -
This is also not good for inverts....
I am by no means saying this is a miracle cure all......just wanted to share my results on this product. I will use it again in the future if any new additions get Ick. I can not say if it works for any of the problems it claims to cure.
Hope this helps someone.

dina12

The 3rd day into treatment was the last time I saw any spots on the fish. I figured it was worth a shot to try it. If I had not seen any change in the fish - I would have started hypo and tossed the product -
So - they have been spot free for over 3 weeks. I am going to keep an eye on them for 3 more weeks before I put them in my DT's.
The ingredients are really all foreign to me....they use their own "copyrighted" names to probally hide the real ingredients.....I am sure there is copper in there based on the way it affected the Puffer.

georgev845

Attacks a broad range of external fish diseases - bacterial, fungal, viral, and parasitic. Extremely effective against fungus and ich. Life guard contains HaloShield, a revolutionary broad-spectrum, non-antibiotic agent that treats the clinical signs of disease at their earliest stages in freshwater and marine fish. Convenient, pre-measured tablets make dosing easy. Each pre-measured dose treats infectious ailments such as fungus, ick, red streaks, milky or shedding slime, flukes, bacterial gill disease, mouth and fin rot, clamped or torn fins, and ulcers. Recommended treatment is 5 days, with one tablet per 10 gallons. Do not use with scaleless fish or invertebrates.

[hr]
Is this the same stuff? Came as tabblets? Im just starting to QT my Tang that has some Ich i can see it imbedded into his skin now. Im looking for good medications to use and now i can consider this or that cupramine stuff i read in beths thread.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by georgev845
Attacks a broad range of external fish diseases - bacterial, fungal, viral, and parasitic. Extremely effective against fungus and ich. Life guard contains HaloShield, a revolutionary broad-spectrum, non-antibiotic agent that treats the clinical signs of disease at their earliest stages in freshwater and marine fish. Convenient, pre-measured tablets make dosing easy. Each pre-measured dose treats infectious ailments such as fungus, ick, red streaks, milky or shedding slime, flukes, bacterial gill disease, mouth and fin rot, clamped or torn fins, and ulcers. Recommended treatment is 5 days, with one tablet per 10 gallons. Do not use with scaleless fish or invertebrates.

[hr]
Is this the same stuff? Came as tabblets? Im just starting to QT my Tang that has some Ich i can see it imbedded into his skin now. Im looking for good medications to use and now i can consider this or that cupramine stuff i read in beths thread.
George, do not use copper on a tang unless it is a last resort. Hypo is the best way to go. It sounds to me like this medication may be effective as a precautionary medication. It seems to have the same effect as other meds such as kick ich. I would not bet my qt that this med is going to be more effective than hypo. I am interested to hear this persons results though, or more the long term results. I do not trust new aquatic meds any more than I trust any other new med for humans. Way too many are later proven to do more harm than good (human meds). This one does say that it is not safe for inverts which is a plus being that ich is an invert. Let us know how it goes Dina

georgev845

Originally Posted by sepulatian
George, do not use copper on a tang unless it is a last resort. Hypo is the best way to go. It sounds to me like this medication may be effective as a precautionary medication. It seems to have the same effect as other meds such as kick ich. I would not bet my qt that this med is going to be more effective than hypo. I am interested to hear this persons results though, or more the long term results. I do not trust new aquatic meds any more than I trust any other new med for humans. Way too many are later proven to do more harm than good (human meds). This one does say that it is not safe for inverts which is a plus being that ich is an invert. Let us know how it goes Dina

Alright i think im going to try hypo. I read all about it in beths thread, and i now this may sound like a noobish question but will lowering my SG from 1.023-1.009 harm the tang? I know this is supposed to happen over a period of 48hrs but still seems like a big drop...Should I proceed in intervals (such as ie: 1.013) a day?
(If this seems confusing i mean by doing water changes to slowly lower the SG.)

sepulatian

Originally Posted by georgev845
Alright i think im going to try hypo. I read all about it in beths thread, and i now this may sound like a noobish question but will lowering my SG from 1.023-1.009 harm the tang? I know this is supposed to happen over a period of 48hrs but still seems like a big drop...Should I proceed in intervals (such as ie: 1.013) a day?
(If this seems confusing i mean by doing water changes to slowly lower the SG.)
Drop the SG consistantly. Pull water out of your tank, but dribble the FW in. I cannot say how many gallons to do when. You should test each time you add FW into the tank. Calculate what you have added and how far you have to go. Please start your own thread and we will be more than happy to walk you through this. You do have to have the sg to 1.009 within 48 hours. If you take an extra day then you will allow the ich to adjust to the lower SG. I seriously hope that you have a refractometer and not a swing arm hydrometer.