I use bioballs, and I hope you do too!

oscar1129

Thanks for checking out my thread!
I've been on here quite a bit since starting my reef tank up two weeks ago. I think I've got it all set up like I want. I have been saving all of my questions for one thread, to make it easier.
1. The subject of the thread, Bio-balls!!! I know that there are opinions about weather to use them or not, but I am...for now.
I've heard it good to use bio-balls in marine sumps as long as they are submerged. Floating Bio-balls can cause high levels of something (I'm not sure what this "something" is).
My problem is that the return from the tank is creating a lot of bubbles at the bottom of the pipe in the sump. Is that just as bad as having them afloat?
Attachment 233194
Can anyone give me advice on how to make the water run "smoothly" threw the pipe so there is no air bubbles?
I've tried to use a ball valve to regulate the flow by placing it at the end of the pipe in the sump. It works, but there is a tenancy for the tank or overflow to overflow.
2. My second question is about my protein skimmer. It is an eshopps 75 gallon in sump. It only has been running during the day because it is so dang loud for about five days.
At first the thing worked great, then it went to shooting micro-bubbles from the outlet. Now it has gotten to the point where there are just a few coming out. But I'm not sure if it is still breaking in. What is the water level supposed to be in a skimmer? Mine is here:
Attachment 233195
Above the line is mostly bubbles, below its more of a mix of water and bubbles. I have the air regulated just a little bit, too much air makes the motor very loud. (Will the noise quiet with time too?)
3. I think I have a hitch-hiker, under one of the larger pieces of rock there is some sort of crab. I've only seen the claw from a hole in the rock because he was going after one of my snails. I keep on hearing loud clicking noises from the tank, with nothing to see causing it. If it is the crab under the rock should I have anything to worry about? Broken Glass? Should I over turn the rock to see what I have in my tank?
Set-up
55 Gallon Glass Tank
20 Gallon Glass Tank (Sump)
60 pounds of LR *
60 pounds Live Sand
Sufficient Heat
Little more than 10x turnover on the water
Hydor Koralia 3
Gravity Feed Overflow Box 800gph (Eshopps)
75 gph Protein Skimmer (Eshopps)
1 1/4" Return PVC Pipe
* The rock came from a guy off creigs list that pulled it out of his tank and basically put it in mine.
Water

Everything reads zero, my cycle was so small that it was over before I knew it.
I got the water from my LFS to start, it was premixed. My water has been tested to be "within" the requirements to keep marine life. Low in phosphates and stuff...I don't really know to much about it, but I only do that for top-offs, I use tap water conditioner.

jackri

Why do you hope I use bio balls?
All they do is hold bacteria that breaks down the ammonia/nitrite process -- the same thing my live rock does. They also can build up over time and be an issue of high nitrates.
I've got nothing against them but they're not for me.
I would not use tap water with tap water conditioner in my tanks --- running a saltwater tank I would go with at least a RO system and if you're doing reef RO/DI filtration. It saves a lot of headaches down the road.
Looking good so far though

i used bio balls for 6 yrs now...never touched them or cleaned them..never had a problem...also i used tap water to top off...no problem there either

florida joe

All they do is hold bacteria that breaks down the ammonia/nitrite process -- the same thing my live rock does.
only they do it much better

johnr2604

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/3155363
Well this is what I filter out of my water, but to each their own.
LOL, I just changed all my sediment and carbon filters on my RO. They looked just like that. I'm not even getting into the bioball arguement

stdreb27

There are just better options out there than bio balls.
As for your microbubble problem, how fast is the flow in that sump? I may have missed it.

florida joe

Please elaborate
like live rock
Depends on what you are trying to accomplish

oscar1129

Ya I agree, please lets not argue, I had specific questions so this thread wouldn't get off track. I just want to know if the bubbles will cause problems similar to "floating bio-balls". Any opinions on the other questions?

9supratt4

Originally Posted by oscar1129
http:///forum/post/3155411
Ya I agree, please lets not argue, I had specific questions so this thread wouldn't get off track. I just want to know if the bubbles will cause problems similar to "floating bio-balls". Any opinions on the other questions?
You have no idea what you started
Just kidding.....but to answer question 3....if you hear clicking....that usually is not a good thing. Usually it's a Mantis Shrimp....but could be a pistol shrimp. I don't know of any crabs that click. I would definitely move rock to see the entire thing. You can also try a piece of shrimp or krill on a skewer near the rock it's under to get him to come out. Just don't use your fingers, because if it is a mantis, you'll be in for some pain!!

oscar1129

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/3155359
Why do you hope I use bio balls?
All they do is hold bacteria that breaks down the ammonia/nitrite process -- the same thing my live rock does. They also can build up over time and be an issue of high nitrates.
I've got nothing against them but they're not for me.
I would not use tap water with tap water conditioner in my tanks --- running a saltwater tank I would go with at least a RO system and if you're doing reef RO/DI filtration. It saves a lot of headaches down the road.
Looking good so far though

Thanks! I will get RO water for the water changes. Have you heard if having them submerged will lower the chances of high nitrates? The subject was to attract attention of those that use bio-balls. I was hoping that you used them so maybe I could get some help.

Originally Posted by stdreb27

http:///forum/post/3155373
As for your microbubble problem, how fast is the flow in that sump? I may have missed it.
It is running about 600gph, It is a 740gph Hydor pump. Need any other info?

xcali1985

If im not mistaken, the way your protein skimmer works is the return pipe pushes up and down and that will raise the water level in the container. Im not particulary familiar with your model but its similar to the ASM series.
I use bio-balls also although I use a sump w/ fuge with macro algae so everything always read 0. Don't think its particulary a problem to have them as long as the appropiate measures are taken. In a sump/fuge design they can be beneficial as you have a medium to remove the excess nutrients.
If your getting algae problems i would look to bio balls as one of the first problems. Most people say clean 20% of them a month, easier said than done most times especially keeping track of the ones you cleaned.
I use mine behind my overflow box, helps to silence that noise as the water breaks on the balls. Im not particulary over in favor for them, but I can say Ive added lots of rock and fish and never got any spikes at all.

spanko

Originally Posted by Xcali1985
http:///forum/post/3155450
......Most people say clean 20% of them a month, easier said than done most times especially keeping track of the ones you cleaned.............
A good way to do this is to purchase different colors so that you can keep track.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3155380
Please elaborateDepends on what you are trying to accomplish
Something that works on the backend of the cycle as well.
If you have issues with amm or nitri, you are doing something seriously wrong, like having a 15" Lion in a 55gal or are pouring in amm with your topoffs...