i want a ribbon eel

puffer9006

i was looking in my lfs and they had gotten in a bunch of black and gold ribbon eels. i wanted know if i need to worry about them eating my fish. my smallest fish is a 6 line wrasse which is bigger then the ribbon eels mouth. also do i need to worry about it jumping out of my tank i have now canopy or cover
just some things about my tank, 72g bowfront reef lots of lr and corals so plenty of hiding spots for the eel.

ledzep fan

Ribbon Eels are the hardest eels to keep in captivity. The catch with the is to try to get them to eat. IMO don't buy one because if you so the LFS will just go and get more. This is one of the fish/eels that should be left it the ocean.

chilwil84

get them to feed it something other than feeder fish would be a good start to see if it is one that should be purchased

dragonzim

Originally Posted by puffer9006
they have had them for a week or so in the tank and seem to be doing fine
Eels can easily go a few weeks to months without eating. Just because your LFS has had them for a week that really doesnt mean anything. These eels are extremely hard to keep in captivity. Like someone else said above, they are much better off left in the wild.

jon321

I agree, I they wont SHOW you it eat before your eyes dont waste your time. They are definitely up there with idols and pinnatus batfish. Also, from what I have seen, they are extremely prone to escaping. If there is so much as a crack, they will get out.
Jon

boalgf

I've had a ribbon eel, they should be avoided. To keep it alive I had to put it in a large reef tank that was heavily stocked with dozens of shrimp. I still never actually saw it eat and had to force feed it several times when it became sluggish. They are a full time job and just not worth it. One ribbon eel lasted 4 months at the LFS before dying of starvation.