I want a Sump, but where to get it?

waterbourn

After reading these forums, I really want to set my 55 gallon tank up with a sump from the start. I really don't have time to collect the components and make one. Does anybody know where to get everything I will need for a sump. Also, will a hang on back skimmer or submergered skimmer both work fine with a sump? As popular as sumps seem to be, I sure am having touble finding out where to get these things.
thanks!

cain420

i got my sump setup at my lfs.. costed me $280 after 6% sales tax though.. came with the tank, the bioballs, box, pump, and all hosing that i needed.. you can make one for MUCH CHEAPER!!! check out the DIY if you are interested in it! Lots of threads on sumps there!
just be sure to have a low water level cut off for your sump pump.. so that your tank will NEVER overfill itself! I got that component at a hardware store for $23.00.. and now i dont need to worry about a flood when i get home, and its no longer in the back of my mind making me worry..

diesel359

Hey Cain420, I have been wondering about that part you picked up at the hardware store. Where and how did you hook it up? Please let know what it is and how yours is setup, thanks greg

granny

It Can Be Very Confusing-and Matching The Return Pump To The Overflow-in Sump Pump Or Outside Etc. Etc.
I Went Through The Same Thing, Then Visited An Extremely Large Saltwater Fish Store In Va. Beach, Va. Who Stocked Everything. I Told Them What I Had, What I Wanted And Left The Store With My Overflow, Sump, Pumps, All Connections And Super Skimmer For Around $700.
I Have The Tide Pool Sump, Sos Overflow, Mag 700 Submersible Pump And Euro Reef Skimmer. I Could Have Gotten All These Things On Line For About 1/3 Less Than I Paid For Them At The Store, But I Didnt Know What I Needed To Make It All Work, So Did Not Feel Confident Piecing Things Together.
I Dont Know If This Site Sells Sumps Or Not, But They Dont Have A Package You Can Just Buy With All The Pieces.
If It Isnt Against The Rules Here, Go To **************.com And You Can Order All The Items I Just Mentioned Except The Protein Skimmer.
The In-sump Skimmers Are More Efficient-get The Best One You Can Afford-the Tallest That Will Fit Under Your Tank!

cain420

Originally Posted by diesel359
Hey Cain420, I have been wondering about that part you picked up at the hardware store. Where and how did you hook it up? Please let know what it is and how yours is setup, thanks greg
no problem, heres the pic.. its kinda faulty right now cuz i dont fill my sump up enough for it to automatically kick the pump back on when the level rises, but when i install the fuge, im gonna fill em more..
its the same hookup as a home sump system, but i got the one without the mercury inside, lol.. the pump plugs in like a x-mas tree light string.. plug the pump into the socket for the switch.. i like this one, cuz unlike the real small ones, it is less likely to malfunction due to algae growth, etc..

cain420

yea, its against the rules granny.. i got a thread cut off for mentioning a site that sold something this site does not... that link will probaby get deleted...

granny

Touchy, Arent They??
I Always Check Here First When I Am Buying Something Because I Have Been Pleased With The Livestock, But The Other Site I Mentioned Has A Much Large Selection Of Hardware.
Take Care, Cain.