I want an eel what do you recomend

crypt keeper

No eel is reef safe with inverts.They will eat crabs and shrimp. If you want a coral safe eel most of them are in a sense that they dont eat them but they will go where ever it wants to go. Knocking things over. 46 gallon I wouldnt mess with any other eel thank a Snowflake. They get up too two feet long. They will eat small fish though if they go hungry. I dont think Id trust one in a community fish tank with smaller fish like Percs. Blennies. Goby's

sean48183

Snowflakes are pretty harmless and will not usually eat small fish unless they are really hungry. I have a 22" one that I keep with a psuedo, a small blue damsel, 2 dwarf angels and some chromis and he never has touched any of them. Crabs and most definately shrimp are however on the menu and probably would be gone within 24 hours of him being in the tank.

sean48183

Originally Posted by Salt Life
http:///forum/post/2946376
that tank is too small for a full sized SFE, 55 would be better and 75g would be best for one.
I disagree with this. My 22" eel curls up in a conch shell and sits there all day and night. These fish do not need alot of room. They are not like a tangs or wrasses that need alot of swimming room. I think a 46g would be fine.

salt life

Originally Posted by sean48183
http:///forum/post/2946398
I disagree with this. My 22" eel curls up in a conch shell and sits there all day and night. These fish do not need alot of room. They are not like a tangs or wrasses that need alot of swimming room. I think a 46g would be fine.
ok and you have a 150, she has a 46g. 2 foot of eel in a 46g tank along with whatever else she wants to put in there would be alot. It was JMO, considering I keep only morays.

fishlawyer

The big issue with eels is that they are really messy eaters, (especially if you feed frozen food instead of pellets). They add A LOT to you bioload. A good filtration system and protein skimmer is a must!

snakeblitz33

I've had eels off and on over the years. While most eels only curl up and stay in one spot, Salt Life is suggesting that it's too much of a bioload to keep a 2 foot eel in a 46g tank. Which, I agree. If you keep up with water changes, and increase your filtration, you should be ok, however I don't suggest it.
Engineer gobies are really sweet, they get big, and they are more entertaining IMHO. However, if you really want an eel, I highly suggest just getting one small snowflake.
BTW, there is no such thing as a reef safe eel. They will eat hermit crabs and snails and other sorts of critters when they are hungry.

sean48183

Salt life I hope I didn't offend you. I was just stating that in my experience space wise a 46g is plenty for a snowflake eel. However I agree you will need excellent filtration as they are heavy on the load. Add a algae scrubber or fuge growing alot of hair algae and prune it weekly and you really can keep almost any kind of load for the most part. I had 8 fish in 55g and fed 2-3 times daily with nitrates at 0 because I had a fuge that grew a ton of hair algae which I removed weekly.

salt life

http:///forum/post/2946579
Salt life I hope I didn't offend you. I was just stating that in my experience space wise a 46g is plenty for a snowflake eel. However I agree you will need excellent filtration as they are heavy on the load. Add a algae scrubber or fuge growing alot of hair algae and prune it weekly and you really can keep almost any kind of load for the most part. I had 8 fish in 55g and fed 2-3 times daily with nitrates at 0 because I had a fuge that grew a ton of hair algae which I removed weekly.
Not at all, I just want her to understand what putting an eel in a 46g will do to her water params. and to her choice of fish in the future. I am interested in your experience with keeping your nitrates low and how on a "heavy" stocked tank if it has worked for you, if you don't mind...

sean48183

Actually I kind of discovered the solution to nitrates on accident on my old 55g tank. I was battling a brutal hair algae outbreak in my DT and had bought every critter known to try and gobble it up. I set up an above tank fuge that pumped water up and gravity fed back to my tank with the intention of using chaeto. The hair algae started growing like mad in in this fuge and pretty much consumed the chaeto and outcompeted the hair algae in my main tank. I just let it go and would clean out the hair algae about once every 2 weeks. After about 6 months I never saw hair algae in my DT again and my nitrates stayed at 0ppm. Key is to get hair algae to want to grow somewhere else besides your DT and remove it every couple weeks for maximum nutrients removal.

ca161406

mine has been great and hes in with a small skunk clown that swims by its head all the time.
i really dont see how it could be that large of a bioload. less then a trigger for sure. they swallow their food whole and make very lil mess, and you only really have to feed them every other day.
although i feed mine small amounts 2x a day to keep him fat and happy

salt life

http:///forum/post/2946733
Actually I kind of discovered the solution to nitrates on accident on my old 55g tank. I was battling a brutal hair algae outbreak in my DT and had bought every critter known to try and gobble it up. I set up an above tank fuge that pumped water up and gravity fed back to my tank with the intention of using chaeto. The hair algae started growing like mad in in this fuge and pretty much consumed the chaeto and outcompeted the hair algae in my main tank. I just let it go and would clean out the hair algae about once every 2 weeks. After about 6 months I never saw hair algae in my DT again and my nitrates stayed at 0ppm. Key is to get hair algae to want to grow somewhere else besides your DT and remove it every couple weeks for maximum nutrients removal.
interesting, thank you for sharing that.