i want smaller peices of live rock

dempseyjosh

right now i have two big peices of live rock, but i want several smaller peices. is it ok for me to use a hammer and chisel to make the peices smaller? is this the way people get live rock rubble? the only small peices i have seen in the store are base rock. is this different than live rock?

scotts

Also be careful and wear gloves when handling the broken rock, those little rock splinters hurt like the dickens....

Yes I have done this many times before.

nigerbang

Originally Posted by renogaw
and rince the tools with water AND wd-40 afterward or they will rust up

Tip of the day..

saltn00b

if they have good life on them i would sell them. people will pay a little more for giant chunks of nice rock... just an idea

Originally Posted by DragonZim
Make sure you take the rock out of your tank before busting it up!!

i don't even want to go there....

bugsy

dempseyjosh

well one of them is starting to get alot of coraline growing on it. the other has just a little bit.
do i have to do much more than rinse the rock off... or shake it around in some extra water before putting it back in? is this going to affect the growth?

alix2.0

Originally Posted by dempseyjosh
well one of them is starting to get alot of coraline growing on it. the other has just a little bit.
do i have to do much more than rinse the rock off... or shake it around in some extra water before putting it back in? is this going to affect the growth?
might actually help your coralline growth since it sends off spores to reproduce.

florida joe

now you tell me my jack hammer kept tripping my gfi when i used it in my tank

symon

Originally Posted by florida joe
now you tell me my jack hammer kept tripping my gfi when i used it in my tank

LOL Darwin will love that one!

donald

I get a clean small towel, wet it with tank water, wrap up the rock and BAM, live rock rubble. I also get a gallon of tank water in a bucket for washing the pieces if they are going in the DT. I did some yesterday for my fuge and didn't wash them because I didn't care about the little pieces in there. Don't just smash away, hit it once or twice then extract the right size pieces then give another wack and repeat. You will get less waste this way. Also wear some rubber gloves when picking through the pieces, you will never see the fire worm that stings you

J

jrthomas40

you can use a cheisl or

[hr]
driver to strategically make the breaks....i did this to one of my large rocks cuz i kept having fish swim into the rock and die so i put the

[hr]
driver in the hole and gave a few love taps then moved to another desired location and a few more taps...came out 3 even better smaller pieces plus less wasted and mess every where