I want to add some fish!!!!

blindmelon

my 46 gallon has a maroon clown and a coral beauty and a cleaner shrimp as far as the fish are concerned....
I want to get a velvet wrasse and a mandarin dragonet in there would that be all good???
Just double checking before I commit.....gotta keep it safe YA KNOW WHAT IM SAYIN?!?! lol

kcobain111

You Need alot of live rock and a mature tank to host Manderins. There needs to be pods which live on live rock for it to eat. I also want a manderin but need to wait ATLEAST 5 more months for my tank to mature. Not sure about the wrasse

55galgill

blind melon i would probably hold off on the manderin just cuz they need lots of live rock and pods to survive. unless you got a refugium setup then u might be able to get away with it. im not to familiar with the velvet wrasse .but in your tank have u thunk about a goby/pistol partnership? there really cool active and some of the goby's are really colorful , and the bonus is they really dont put much of a bioload on your tank either.

blindmelon

yeah this is my 8th month on this aquarium so I guess maybe it would be mature?? I dono.....but thanks though for your comments lol

blindmelon

Im sure I have enough live rock for mine but for the tanks sake ill hold off with the manderin. What about the wrasse somebody please???!?!?!
gobies are okay but theyve never been something my jaw dropped at when I saw them.....no offense to anyone but I don't think I really want any gobies but thanks for replying though 55 lol

55galgill

no problem. thing with manderins is they are like mini one fish swat teams hunting for pods on the run from the law(<--am watching to much law and order
) and tanks that have been up for a year or two can be completly wiped out in a month or two due to the nature of the fishes constant search for food. but anyways glad i could be of some help:D

dogstar

Never heard of a Velvet Wrasse. Do you have the sp. name or a different name or describe it.:notsure:

dogstar

Ok i looked at the pic and I have a book that calls it a Yellowstreak FW...And says its iffy, They are reef safe but its a deep water fish and might not acclimate to typical strong lights that most ppl. have for a reef tank.

X

xnikki118x

I heard the same thing about those wrasses. It would probably survive better, IMO, if you had a fish only tank with less lighting. I'm not saying they're not reef safe because I believe they are, but they do prefer the less intense light and even slightly cooler waters than most people have for reefs, from what I've read. I never had one so I don't have firsthand experience, just whatever I've read.
Definitely hold off on the mandarin. I had one starve in my tank because I thought my tank was 'mature' after a few months. It looked like a stick with a head on it when it died--very sad, and biggest mistake I ever made in this hobby.
How much live rock do you have? Peek in it with a flashlight at night a few hours after your lights go off, and see if you can see any pods scurrying about. If you can, it's a good start. :)
Also, Blind Melon rules.

PS. Gill, I LOVE Law & Order!!

blindmelon

YES Blind Melon DOES rule haha:happy:
Okay well dag I guess Ill scrap both ideas then...lol
So what WOULD be a good choice for a new fish to be put in my tank??
I want a fish that you don't really see everyday...ya know???

blindmelon

NIICE pun lol
Anthias are nice I mustve skipped over them...
Could I put like 3 or 4 of them or would that be too much on the bioload???

dogstar

Yeah, maybe the Bicolor or Lyretail. You can do a male and two females or maybe one female, I think the females might fight if theres not alot of them but only one male cause they will fight. You only have three fish, Right? You can add a few more and bioload should be ok. I have Squarespots in my 180g and they get big. This guy is 7 inch:eek:

dogstar

:D
This is a bad pick of my male Lyretail. I was shooting the coral and didnt know the anthia was in the shot. Hes only 4 inches and the female are more orange.

blindmelon

actually I only have two....a coral beauty and a marron clown
alright cool I might just go that route thanks for your help...how big do the lyretails get bc I definitely do like those
with only two fish being in there and one cleaner shrimp....how many could I put in my tank and be safe??? anyone??:happyfish :confused:

blindmelon

thats a beautiful coral what is it???:thinking:
heres a pic of all of my 3 inhabitants happily swimming around...the maroon clown is jack and hes my #1 boy....Ive had the mofo since I started this thing back in august
:yes:

dogstar

Yeah, Its a LPS, Branching Frogspawn, Thanks. Good luck with the anthias. I dont think the male gets over 4 in. and if you can pick some small females they should stay small and not change to males.
PS. I like Blindmelon too, shame about the guy dieing.

blindmelon

yeah if you ever listen to their cds and not just that one song they are truely a good band...but yea back on subject
alrightay thanks for your help I will more than likely invest in some anthias now