I want to build a new stand for my 90gal tank.....

krautburner

I've found several sites selling plans
and found this one where I put in my tank demensions http://www.fishandtips.com/index.php
is there anything I should consider when building my stand?
I intend to use a 29gal sump tank (unless I can find something larger that I can get into the stand)
I'm leaning towards using 4x4's for the upper and lower frames, as well as the uprights on each corner
not sure if that's overkill or not.
anyone have any suggestions/ideas?
Thanks in Advance
Russ
Bremerton, Wa

krautburner

would it be possible to put a 40G Breeder in as the sump?
I love the idea of having more displacement (more room for equipment, and more water)

snakeblitz33

4x4s is overkill. 2x4's would be more like it. I think you should be ok with the 29g. You don't want to go too big of a sump underneath your stand because then you wouldn't have enough room to work in or put equipment that needs to be out of water.
It is true that the solution to pollution is dilution, however, that doesn't mean that you can let your water parameters remain unchecked. More water doesn't necessarily mean better water quality.
Are you going to be adding a refugium or algae scrubber? What kind of equipment are you going to be using?
I've built stands for 225g - 240g tanks with just 2x4s. As long as you use angle irons and adequately cross brace it, it's not a problem.

acrylic51

2x4's would work. Stay away from pressure treated lumber will twist over time. You should fit as big a sump as possible!!!!!
Not sure how much equipment you'd need outside your sump under the tank??? Depending on your design and what featuresyou want into your stand there are several ways to build it. I am a lot of people hate the center brave in most stands. You could explore the idea of using a laminated beam up top to carry/support the weight to eliminate the need for a center brace. By no means do you need to use angle iron or steel for a solid stand.
You could look at my build thread or 2quills, Al&Burke an a few others and see solid builds without metal or relying solely on mechanical fasteners!!!
Back to the sump issue, go as big as you can fit. The biggest component you'd have outside the sump under your stand is an external pump. All other possible wants and needs can be figured into the build design after you figure your needs. Again check out build threads and you'll see ideas and gives you better ideas of what you want/need or better way to accomplish what your after.