I want to start this hobby

J

jorgesz

I need direction on what to do to start the hobby.
I have a 25 gallon aquarium.
What do i need to start??
and from then on.

poiboy

GET A QUALITY TEST KIT (SALIFERT) TEST FOR AMMONIA, NITRITE, NITRATE, PH. GETA GOOD BOOK AND ASK ALOT OF QUESTIONS.
FIRST GO TO THE SURCH OPTIONS AND TYPE IN CYCLE AND READ EVERYTHING YOU CAN ABOUT THIS SUBJECT. BETTER YET USE THE SEARCH FOR THE FOLLOWING. RO/DI WATER, WETDRY, SUMP, CYCLE, LIGHTS, SALT, HYDROMETER (USED FOR TESTING SALT GRAVITY) , SAND. I'm sure you will get a lot of replys.

justinx

The best single piece of equipment that you can have is literally right in front of you. It sounds lame, but seriously, this board contains EVERY single bit of information that you could ever need, and if you cant find it, just ask!
What i would suggest is that you search around here, ask questions, and read a good book or two . . . THEN get started. Trust me, although it can be difficult to be patient and wait, you will save yourself some money and some frustrations.
BUT To answer your question:
List of essentials:
1. Tank (duh)
2. Water (best bet is reverse osmosis)
3. Synthetic Sea Salt (instant ocean is a quality product)
4. Substrate (stuff on the bottom) this is a currently debated topic in the reef forum
5. Live Rock for filtration
6. Powerhead for water circulation
7. Heater
8. Way to measure salinity
9. Thermometer
List of optionals:
1. Protein Skimmer (removes dissolved organic compounds)
2. Refugium
3. Sump
4. High Powered lights (I say that lights are optional, when they are actually necessary to see your tank, but if you plan to keep corals you must have high powered lighting. This is THE MOST expensive piece of equipment)
There are definitely other pieces of equipment that are needed in maintaing a saltwater tank, but these will get you started on the right track.
HTH
Justin

O

ocean_diva

I'm just starting out too!!! Trust me, it can be overwhelming!!! But here you can ask anything! Even if you don't understand something. Just about everyone here is really nice and want to help so ASK ASK ASK!!!
Yeah...and READ READ READ!!!!

airforceb2

Justin, nice list. IMO, the skimmer should be on the essentials list. I wouldn't run any tank without one.
Might I add, once you get all the essentials and the tank is up and running...don't forget about the cost of stocking your tank.

rainmaker6

As a beginner myself, the most essential thing that I have found is money. It is expensive to get set up with the proper equipment for a reef tank, but I have found that starting with a fish only tank is allowing me to gain experience as I go and allows me to save up to get the more pricey pieces of equipment as i go along.

evieb

I agree with Rainmaker6. This is a great hobby but an expensive one. Search the threads for one that asks "how much $ have you dished out?" so that you can get an idea of the expense involved. Be sure this is what you like and have a true interest or passion for. Know also that patience is essential. Something I did not know when I began! After my first "deaths" I bought some books suggested on this site........."The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert M. Fenner and "The New Marine Aquarium" by Michael S. Paletta. At first it was a bit confusing but then I would log on to this site and ask, ask, ask. I am one of the many with the stupidest questions! Still have them! lol! Once you have decided that you are going to do this don't hesitate to ask for advice. I have found that this is the most informative site around with someone always available and willing to help. Good luck!