I went to the lfs to get a refractometer today

hnf2k

BUT INSTEAD I GOT A MANTIS SHRIMP! i know i know, i need to get my priorities right. he's so cool. im a little afriad when it comes to feeding him though. he's in a little container in my main display until my 10 gallon tank clears up(sand). then he will be housed in there. it's scary feeding him, becasue he seems to wanna come out. so i quickly throw the food in before he comes up to where my fingers are and tries to get free in my main tank. he's cool though. just thought i would tell everyone.

hairtrigger

Got a pic? Those things are dangerous though man. Like playing with fire. I have heard of them breaking tanks. Someone on here once said their claw has the velocity of a .22 bullet. Good luck. :D

hnf2k

no digital camera. it is possible for them to break tanks. but very rare. he is a peacock mantis shrimp. very colorful. once the tank clears up im gonna put him in there and feed him a crab just to see his smashers in action. at the lfs he was already taking frozen foods which is good. but their smashers will weaken and fall off if never used. so you should give them some live food every once in a while. and since the lfs was feeding him frozen foods i want to get him to use his smashers. hopefully the tank will clear up within the next few days and i can get him on his way. im not expecting a cycle from the tank because i will be using cured live rock from my display.

hairtrigger

Man, that sounds awesome. That would be worth having a seperate tank for. Too bad you don't have a digital camera. I would love to see him eat that crab. Mantis are really cool looking. How much was he?

hnf2k

i paid 30. they can go higher or lower. from what i've researched they can go up to maybe 50. online on sites like tampa bay saltwater they are only like 8 bucks becasue they just take them from their live rock. so they are so small you cant identify what type of mantis shrimp they are. but then also you hafta spend like a minimum of 35 dollar shipping charge so it doesnt save you any money.

kalim2002

considering that peacocks are native to the pacific ocean, i don't think you'll get them from florida rock :)
the cheapest peacock i got was a small one for $12...nowadays, they go for more like upper 20s to $60s (depending on the size, and more likely, depending on the store).

hnf2k

hey kalim, what should i feed my mantis? and is he gonna start digging like crazy? right now the tank is all southdown.

melbournefl

you've got fish with ich in hypo, you can't get an accurate SG reading and you're buying more livestock :eek: yeah, I'd say you really need to work on your priorities.
Just my .02,
Paul

hnf2k

lol, thanks melbourne. but i was thinking back again and...mantis shrimp are real hard to come by, especially at a decent price like i got it and a good looking specimen. so on second thought it was a good decision.