I will make SWF.com mad at me for this one!

saltwaterfish.com

Administrator
Staff member
This is an interesting thread and I wanted you to know that we at SWF.com appreciate the positive spirit with which it is intended. We really do read these comments and use this forum to improve the site. There have been some excellent points raised that we'll discuss as we look to further enhance saltwaterfish.com
I have recently been thinking of starting a blog on this board so that our members can understand why we do some of the things we do, and to share some of the husbandry "tips" that we utilize in our facility. This seems like as good a place as any to ask the question of the members if you feel that would be useful.
I'll quickly give you a little overview, and clear up a few misconceptions about us.
We have a 10,000 sq foot facility in Ft. Pierce, FL. It is a warehouse filled with tanks. There is no retail location and all our business is done via the internet. Retail out of our facility would require zoning changes and we like things the way they are.
We bring our animals in directly from overseas. We do not use middlemen as the vast majority of etailers and retailers do. We have long established relationships with our suppliers and are careful when we add new suppliers to insure that the quality is maintained. Sometimes that effects stocking levels... but we do not want to sacrifice quality for quantity. We feel that substandard livestock would be detrimental to our long term relationship with our customers.
Many animals are only available seasonally. And, obviously, the more desirable species sell out quickly. So, when you see the oodles of "Wish List" items, keep that in mind. It's not that we don't want to sell them, it is usually that they are not available... either because the fishermen couldn't find them, or they are not in season. Our site's dynamics, with our stock listed as it is on a single page, is a double edged sword in this regard, we've got hundreds of items in stock but out of an entire list of 700, it seems puny. But, clearly from the comments, we must do a better job in this regard.
The cost of a fish is a story upon itself. Suffice it to say that the cost to ship a fish from overseas is usually 2-3 times the cost of the fish itself. The more people that handle a fish before it gets to you, the higher the mortality rate... and the higher the costs. A fish at the LFS might go through 4-5 acclimation processes before it comes to the end customer...exporters, importers, wholesalers and middlemen. With us, it is acclimated in our suppliers tanks overseas and again here at our facility. That is how we are able to offer lower prices and have great quality livestock.
We are working at improving our customer service as we speak. We have our new ticket system and we respond to all contact within 1 business day. We are experimenting with a "Live Person" system on the site and other things are in the works. We find that our non-phone system is efficient, but not necessarily for everyone.
As for dry goods, we are a little different from the other sites. Most began as dry goods sites and expanded into live animals. SWF.com started as a livestock site and that is what we do best. I agree that we are missing an opportunity to sell more dry goods, but when we find the right formula for us, we want to do it right. Our primary mission is to sell the healthiest animals at the best prices possible, and admittedly our dry goods area needs improvement.
I'm sorry this was so long winded, but as I said, I thought this was a great thread and we appreciate the support of all our members that want to see us succeed (and improve) in the hobby that we all love.
Scott

etricas

I ordered a Vlamingi Tang, Tenneti Tang, and Foxface Rabbittfish a month ago and all looked superb upon arrival and all are thriving in my system. Excellent livestock.

B

bonita69

Thanks So much for jumping in, I have never seen you guys reply to any thread before!
Thanks for clearing some things up for us!

coachklm

I've never ordered from the site (i'm scared, because I'm very rural.) but a "very select". dry goods offering may entice people to continue service with SWF.com and encourage more fish transactions..
The main things that could be offered (or freew/fish purchase) could include,
test kits simple (API)
simple supplements
anything that could help New hobbyist in their fight against mistakes..
10 min reading the boards will give big clues on mistakes and ways to fix them..
But I've always loved the site and helping people out
I did look here first when I needed some T. Calcium
I am seriously glad that posts and people are listened to here..

1boatnut

I certainly understand business is business,and understand fully SWF position as such.
I did get a little different take on Bonita69's post though.The locking of threads and the reasoning for removing links that are not intended to harm the site,was also a point she made.
I believe the forums can be a double edge sword for the business.
Example:
Awhile back myself and 2 of the neighbors put together an order for around $1,100.00 that we planned on purchasing here. At the same time I posted somthing (not a link) but used a word to point the poster in the direction of a product they needed and this site did not sell. My post was deleted.I then sent a message to the moderators asking why it was deleted.
I received no response.
Moral of the story: We purchased everything elsewhere.
This in no way was a I'll show you type thing,because they obviously didn't even know about the order,but made me wonder if a PM regarding a simple post would not even be answered,what would make me think I would receive any different treatment if something were not right with the order.
So in the end,we all got what we wanted

B

bonita69

Originally Posted by 1boatnut
http:///forum/post/2486320
I certainly understand business is business,and understand fully SWF position as such.
I did get a little different take on Bonita69's post though.The locking of threads and the reasoning for removing links that are not intended to harm the site,was also a point she made.
Example:
Awhile back myself and 2 of the neighbors put together an order for around $1,100.00 that we planned on purchasing here. At the same time I posted somthing (not a link) but used a word to point the poster in the direction of a product they needed and this site did not sell. My post was deleted.I then sent a message to the moderators asking why it was deleted.
I received no response.
This in no way was a I'll show you type thing,because they obviously didn't even know about the order,but made me wonder if a PM regarding a simple post would not even be answered,what would make me think I would receive any different treatment if something were not right with the order.

Very good! That is what I was trying to say. If I can link a new reefer to a good company that sells salt then sell it right here at this site! As well as other things. When "lock post" happens to them they feel VERY SMALL and not welcome. I think that in itself kills more sales than the link it self.
I will not by corals or fish Cheaper because it is "cheaper" I buy quality animals and SWF has just that quality Livestock.

C

calvertbill

Originally Posted by Eaglephot
http:///forum/post/2485440
YES! They do need a phone line.
It's been my experience that 90% of the on-line outfits without phone lines are ones who are seriously understaffed or only employ part time help.
SWF is the first place I look when I'm after livestock, but it would never occur to me to seek dry goods here. They never stock any and price the ones they have on the high side. Maybe they don't want that market.
BUT THE MAIN REASON I logged into this thread is to say that Kim from customer service is the BEST!!! I've found her to be diligent, she keeps me informed (even when she hasn't found the solution to my problem) and she doesn't quit until she resolves the problem.
s

lion_crazz

If you are going to speak out about something, please be fair to SWF.com and at least get the facts straight and/or tell the whole story.
The locking of threads and the reasoning for removing links that are not intended to harm the site,was also a point she made.
We, moderators, do not remove "links that are not intended to harm the site." Just take a quick search through your post history. In the recent past, you posted two links, one to a garlic article (https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/298928/garlic-is-no-good/20#post_2403591) and another to an article about ich (https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/296439/blue-hippo-tang-with-ick). Neither was removed. There are many examples just like the two that were straight from you.
At the same time I posted somthing (not a link) but used a word to point the poster in the direction of a product they needed and this site did not sell. My post was deleted.I then sent a message to the moderators asking why it was deleted.
I received no response.
The post you are referring to that was deleted might as well have been a direct link to a competitor's website (as you made reference to the people who owned the one, and the initial to the other one). While I cannot comment on the response to the PM, since I was not the moderator who deleted it, I can say that you could have just told the person to google refractometers and that person would have found the refractometer just as easily. However, you felt the need to post what you did, which is against SWF.com's rules. You should have already known why it was deleted. And you never know, the moderator who deleted your message might have just forgot to send you a response. I know I have forgotten to send replies to PM's.
made me wonder if a PM regarding a simple post would not even be answered,what would make me think I would receive any different treatment if something were not right with the order.
That does not even make sense. There are all kinds of ways to contact Saltwaterfish.com, either through the forums here, by email, or by the ticket system that Scott explained. Also, if you bring it to the attention of a moderator that you cannot get any response, they will gladly bring your issue right to the attention of Scott.

lexluethar

Wow, what a great thread. Thanks for starting this up bonita. I too have had some issues with stocking of the website, but everything i have purchased has been top notch. I do wish that some of their 'wish list' items woud be in more often, but as someone said although they only have in stock only 25% of what they in total carry, this is far beyond any other LFS that I have ever seen. Although 200 out of 700 items is really poor, when taken into consideration that few LFS have 200 items you have to take everything into consideration.
As for the quality, I totally agree with SWF business philosophy, sell quality items, even though you may not be able to offer as many items. I've seen it done a few times in business where the business plan will take a back seat to trying to sell more product, and in the end you can't offer the quality of product or the quality of customer service that you originally planned when starting your business. In that case, you will lose customers. In any given day I would MUCH rather tell a customer to his or her face, sorry we don't have any in at the moment, then to sell them something that is emaciated (sp*), unhealthy, and just not good quality. Because in the end, although disapointed, when not being able to purchase something you will still come back to the store, opposed to if you were to buy a bad product and it die, you more than likely will blame it on the store and not shop there again. I think SWF is doing the right thing.
Customer service does need to be addressed, although I see issues with having a 'live' person on the phone. Reason being is 99.9% of the questions that person is going to answer will be the same, "when are you getting this in stock" and "are you ever going to sell this product." I think it would be better served to continue with the online customer service - but to give more priority over people that have purchased a product or are calling about a recent purchase.

lexluethar

I would like to also add that every company may not want to become a fortune 500 company. A few posters argued this fact, but it is true. There are literally thousands of great companies out there that only employ a handful of people, and generate enough revenue to pay the bills and pay off all the employees, and that is it. IT IS NOT EVERYONES goal to become a multi-million dollar company, and a lot of people enjoy keeping their companies 'smaller' than most would expect. Just because they have the potential to make 'make it big' doesn't necessarily mean that is their goal or what they want to do. And even if it is what then want to do a smart company will definately take their time doing this.
What people also have to realize is this forum IS NOT the business. Although it is connected to their company, not every one of the 500 daily visitors are customers. I don't think people realize this. As it was pointed out earlier, probably 90% of them come here just for the advise, and no matter what SWF did they would still purchase elsewhere. Do not be mistaken, this forum is a great tool for this company, and for its customers - but dont' think that it is a accurate measure of their business, or of their sales/size of business.
Just because 5,000 people a day drive by a companies location, doesn't mean that it is a huge company. I know the analgy is weird, but essentially it is the same affiliation. People DO NOT have to purchase things to come to this forum, and most probably won't buy from this site for one reason or another.

1boatnut

Originally Posted by lion_crazz http:///forum/post/2486385
If you are going to speak out about something, please be fair to SWF.com and at least get the facts straight and/or tell the whole story.
We, moderators, do not remove "links that are not intended to harm the site." Just take a quick search through your post history. In the recent past, you posted two links, one to a garlic article (https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/298928/garlic-is-no-good/20#post_2403591) and another to an article about ich (https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/296439/blue-hippo-tang-with-ick). Neither was removed. There are many examples just like the two that were straight from you.
The post you are referring to that was deleted might as well have been a direct link to a competitor's website (as you made reference to the people who owned the one, and the initial to the other one). While I cannot comment on the response to the PM, since I was not the moderator who deleted it, I can say that you could have just told the person to google refractometers and that person would have found the refractometer just as easily. However, you felt the need to post what you did, which is against SWF.com's rules. You should have already known why it was deleted. And you never know, the moderator who deleted your message might have just forgot to send you a response. I know I have forgotten to send replies to PM's.
That does not even make sense. There are all kinds of ways to contact Saltwaterfish.com, either through the forums here, by email, or by the ticket system that Scott explained. Also, if you bring it to the attention of a moderator that you cannot get any response, they will gladly bring your issue right to the attention of Scott.
This was not put out to debate,or as your intentions to make me look bad.Oh,and I did tell the whole story> I guess just not the way you wanted for me to tell it.If you read my post it pretty much was stating that the boards and business combination can be a double edge sword. If I felt this way how do you know SWF isn't loosing business from others for the same reason?
How come I can go through numerous posts and see ***** and Petsmart spelled out and the posts stll exist?
As far as the numerous ways to contact SWF. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease. I sent a PM,to me ,that was sufficent.The incident was nothing that I was going to loose sleep over !
You can defend your position all you want,as I will mine. I guess thats why your the moderator,you know whats best.

Like I stated at the end of my post: "We all got what we wanted"

coachklm

Can we not turn this thread into an argument... or personal attack.... the thread starter had a concern toward SWF.com and their policies, the poster was addressed directly by SWF.com, then a issue addressing the mods was brought up.... Addressed directly by the mods.
What can get the thread closed is a personal attack...argument off topic of the original post.
keep it clean to progress the thread. Argue in PM's

1boatnut

Originally Posted by coachKLM
http:///forum/post/2486485
Can we not turn this thread into an argument... or personal attack.... the thread starter had a concern toward SWF.com and their policies, the poster was addressed directly by SWF.com, then a issue addressing the mods was brought up.... Addressed directly by the mods.
What can get the thread closed is a personal attack...argument off topic of the original post.

Well coach,I believe my post adressing my experience with the mods was right on topic of the original post:
http:///forum/post/2486320
Example:
I received no response.

Originally Posted by bonita69

http:///forum/post/2486375
Very good! That is what I was trying to say. If I can link a new reefer to a good company that sells salt then sell it right here at this site! As well as other things. When "lock post" happens to them they feel VERY SMALL and not welcome. I think that in itself kills more sales than the link it self.
I will not by corals or fish Cheaper because it is "cheaper" I buy quality animals and SWF has just that quality Livestock.
But I understand your point,,,when you get attacked,retreat...

lion_crazz

http:///forum/post/2486485

I agree. It is a very inciteful and helpful thread. However, if criticism is going to be slung, it should at least be accurate. The comment about moderators not allowing links to non-competing websites was false and the story about his post being deleted was modified to fit his agenda. Allowing things like that to stand would be like you saying that SWF does not have any saltwater fish in stock, when in fact they have 200. If someone said they had nothing, another would surely correct that as well.

coachklm

http:///forum/post/2486502
Well coach,I believe my post adressing my experience with the mods was right on topic of the original post:
that would be correct if that was the original post... and start of the thread.

...........back to the subject of SWF.com business practices.........
I think they answered adequetly and will keep the suggestions in mind...

1boatnut

http:///forum/post/2486519
that would be correct if that was the original post... and start of the thread.

...........back to the subject of SWF.com business practices.........
I think they answered adequetly and will keep the suggestions in mind...

Well I think it was:

Originally Posted by bonita69

http:///forum/post/2485402
Sorry this has been building up in me for a long time and every time I see you lock a post it bothers me. This one I am sure will get locked too but I had to vent.
The very last line of the 1st post. I kinda think her original post was twofold,and since she agreed I believe I got her jist.

So feel free to keep this on topic and PM me ,as you suggested,with anything you would like