I wish I could throw this aiptasia in a vat of toxic waste!

Y

yoshii

But since that might mess up my water, what else can I do?
I recently got a beautiful purple coralline-covered rock from my LFS's display and it's sitting in quarantine right now with a cleaner shrimp, a ball of chaeto, another small piece of LR from my display, a red mushroom and some GSP.
I want to know if I can somehow kill them without using chemicals(like Joe's Juice).
I've heard peppermint shrimp eat them, but I've also heard sometimes they don't eat them :/ I'm pretty sure my LFS doesn't have the shrimp, I could be wrong, but I have never seen them before in the store. Also, If I somehow got one, would it be ok with the cleaner shrimp? and I'm not really a big fan of how they look, so I don't want to buy one and then after it's ate all the aiptasia, what would I do with it? Maybe I could give it back to my LFS, IDK if they would accept it..
Can I just starve them? But I also don't want to kill the coralline and other goodies on the rock.
Thanks, Christina :)

jim2766

I have a 215 gallon reef tank and had aptasia all over, started with one and quickly spread. I bought 6 peppermint shrimp and even though I have never seen them eat it, all of the aptasia is gone. I noticed that the shrimp are very active at night and hide mostly during the day. Give it a try, I only paid like $5 for each shrimp. Price around, prices vary from store to store.

Y

yoshii

Originally Posted by Jim2766
http:///forum/post/3253913
I have a 215 gallon reef tank and had aptasia all over, started with one and quickly spread. I bought 6 peppermint shrimp and even though I have never seen them eat it, all of the aptasia is gone. I noticed that the shrimp are very active at night and hide mostly during the day. Give it a try, I only paid like $5 for each shrimp. Price around, prices vary from store to store.
Hmm, I've been thinking it over I think I'll call my LFS tomorrow and find out if they can order some for me, thanks for the info

fishtaco

I have passed on a few things because they had aptasia on them and always let the LFS know they are losing a sale because of it.
Fishtaco

ibanez

Aiptasia x works great, if your very careful and when using it you won't bleach any coralline algae. Some peppermint shrimp eat aiptasia, others don't, aiptasia x works every time.