I would like some Overflow Box Help.

woody189

I'm going to build my own Overflowbox for the Refugium that I also plan on building. i have a 46 gal tank and I'm going to convert my 10 gal tank to a sump/refugium.
What I would like to know, is What do you recommend for the tubing? I'm going to use 2 tubes for the overflow box (inside tank to HOB box), and 2 tubes for overflow to sump.
What sized do you recommend? I'll choose my return pump according to the overflow rate.
ANy suggestions?
Thanks

scsinet

Forgive me for asking an obvious question, but if you are building your own fuge, why not just install a drilled overflow rather than the comparatively unreliable HOB overflow?

woody189

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2917944
Forgive me for asking an obvious question,
You're forgiven ;-)
I know you said comparatively, but are HOB overflows unreliable? I read that as long as they are set up properly, that they shouldn't lose siphon, or overflow the box or the sump.
Besides that, I have a glass tank. IDK if it's tempered, and either way, I don't want to remove all my fish and LR to have the glass drilled. Do you think a typical 46 gal bowfront is usually tempered, or is it just a manufacture decision?
I really don't know very much at all about fuges, sumps, OR overflows, but from this site, I'm learning a lot. The sump/fuge and overflow seem simple enough to build. I will post questions on the sump as I get them once I begin the build. I'm 1st going to start w/ the overflow though, hence this thread.

scsinet

Ahh so you are adding an overflow to an existing display tank to allow for a fuge/sump to be installed... is that correct?
I was thinking that you were trying to use an overflow to allow two side by side tanks (a sump and a fuge tank) to work together....

woody189

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2918521
Ahh so you are adding an overflow to an existing display tank to allow for a fuge/sump to be installed... is that correct?
I was thinking that you were trying to use an overflow to allow two side by side tanks (a sump and a fuge tank) to work together....
Oh, no. I have my DT running. I'm going to install an overflow box, then make A sump/refugium below the DT.
I currently have no sump, fuge, or overflow.
Any suggestions on the size of pipes?

woody189

Originally Posted by SaltFan
http:///forum/post/2919356
Usually the overflows are 1" @ 600gph and the returns are 3/4". But heres another thought for you.
Thanks. I'm planning on adding 2 tubes, in case a snail clogs it or whatever. Should I go with two 1 inch tubes, or 1 smaller tubes, maybe 3/4?
Thanks for the other idea also. I was looking at them a little, but I decided not to go for it. Now I'm thinking again.
Is one better than the other?

woody189

And one more thing.
I was thinking about going w/ an in-tank fuge and I was told to make sure there is plenty of flow w/ a powerhead directly in fuge so the Chaeto is tumbling.
I was looking at other fuges (outside of tank) and they say to keep flow to a minimum.
Is that right?
In tank=lots of direct flow
Out of tank=low flow.

saltfan

Go with a sump under tank, you have many more options with that, ie. Skimmer, heaters, water changes. Use 1" pvc. As a rule its 600gph, if you want more you can add another line, then add another U-Tube in the OverFlow Box.

woody189

Originally Posted by SaltFan
http:///forum/post/2920695
Go with a sump under tank, you have many more options with that, ie. Skimmer, heaters, water changes. Use 1" pvc. As a rule its 600gph, if you want more you can add another line, then add another U-Tube in the OverFlow Box.
Thanks. I'll do that. I'll just put some sort of screen over the tube to prevent anything from getting in the tube.
Few More questions though:
1) Is a return pump a specific type of pump, or is it just a powerhead w/ an attachment?
2) What would I search to find it?
3) If the sump is going to be about 2-3 ft below the over flow, a 700 GPH pump should be good? (since you said 600 gph is 1 inch tubing).
4) I'm going to use aquarium tubing rather than PVC for overflow to sump. Is that OK?

briand7878

Let me add my opinion but first i need to see if im correct in what your doing. Your adding a dual tube hang on the back overflow box to your tank each one pulling 600 gph to a 46 gallon tank. That seems like a pretty small tank for a dual overflow box. If you get a pump that is to small for that setup you will not push enough water to the top of the tank and you will lose siphon and flood. You can believe this because I had this happen. I ended up having to buy a quiet one 4000 i think. It pushes 1400 gph and makes quite a bit of flow in my 220. If i were you i think i would go with a single overflow with about a 700gph pump. Pumps or powerheads are both fine.

woody189

Originally Posted by BRIAND7878
http:///forum/post/2925520
Let me add my opinion but first i need to see if im correct in what your doing. Your adding a dual tube hang on the back overflow box to your tank each one pulling 600 gph to a 46 gallon tank. That seems like a pretty small tank for a dual overflow box. If you get a pump that is to small for that setup you will not push enough water to the top of the tank and you will lose siphon and flood. You can believe this because I had this happen. I ended up having to buy a quiet one 4000 i think. It pushes 1400 gph and makes quite a bit of flow in my 220. If i were you i think i would go with a single overflow with about a 700gph pump. Pumps or powerheads are both fine.
THnaks briand
Ok. Well I looked into return pumps, they are a lot more than I expected ($80 range). Damn.
I'm gonna go w/ a PH. I'm also gonna go w/ 1 tube. Is there a chart that will tell me the flow rate of different size tubing? for example, a 1 in would be 600 GPH, how about a 3/4 inch?
Is there a minmum for the flow? What i mean is, does it matter if water goes too slowly into the sump and back up? Because the way I see it, as long as the flow IN the Fuge is appropriate, why does it matter how fast the water goes to and from the DT?
I was thinking i'll go w/ 3/4 inch tubing. Too small? IF so, how come?

greg9871

heres the flows of differnt sizes:
3/4" 330 gph
1" 600 gph
1 1/4" 910 gph
1 1/2" 1300 gph
1 3/4" 1800 gph
2" 2350 gph
2 1/4" 2960 gph
2 1/2" 3650 gph
2 3/4" 4450 gph
3" 5280 gph

woody189

Thanks.
In addition to my other questions, I have another.
If I were to use 3/4" tubing, and the return pump wasnt' strong enough, I don't see what type of problems would come.
I THINK what owuld happen is that the DT would fill up, the ovefflow would drain the water and Return pump would be too slow. If it's too slow then the water in the DT will take longer to rise, so the overflow will fill back up slower.
IDK if that made any sense, but I don't see how having a smaller return pump would cause any problems.
i have 3/4" tubing and a 300 GPH PH that i'm trying to use. I don't want to spend another $50-80 on a new Pump.

briand7878

Woody, I bought my quiet one 4000 1200gph pump for $40 on an internet auction site. You can find them pretty cheap if you look around. The problem i have found with small return pumps is that it lets your overflow slow down. It will then collect air in the tubes and eventually shut down. I have had this happen to me. It makes a huge mess when you empty your entire sump through the top of your DT. If you notice that you have to keep sucking the air out of your u tubes on a daily basis its because of the small pump. If you dont have to do this then you should be good to go.

woody189

http:///forum/post/2927906
Woody, I bought my quiet one 4000 1200gph pump for $40 on an internet auction site. You can find them pretty cheap if you look around. The problem i have found with small return pumps is that it lets your overflow slow down. It will then collect air in the tubes and eventually shut down. I have had this happen to me. It makes a huge mess when you empty your entire sump through the top of your DT. If you notice that you have to keep sucking the air out of your u tubes on a daily basis its because of the small pump. If you dont have to do this then you should be good to go.
OHH! that's great news. That was the problem, I didn't know what to search for. I was searching return pumps, which are expensive. I didn't know air pumps are what are commonly used. That helps a whole bunch.
And as for what you said about the siphon, that makes a lot sense also. Now that I think about it, I do believe I read somewhere that you need enough flow in the siphon to PUSH the air bubbles out.

woody189

Few more ?'s though...
All the air pumps just tell you what size tank they are graded for. They don't say GPH. Is there a conversion that I don't know about?
And these air pumps function the same as powerheads/return pumps? Do they also add extra 02 to the water (more than Ph's)?
One last thing...The air pumps don't produce bubbles, do they?

briand7878

Air pumps are what you put in gold fish bowls that blow bubbles. You dont want one of those. Either get a power head or pump.
Quiet One 3000 Aquarium Water Pump will work great for you.

woody189

http:///forum/post/2927946
Air pumps are what you put in gold fish bowls that blow bubbles. You dont want one of those. Either get a power head or pump.
Quiet One 3000 Aquarium Water Pump will work great for you.
Thanks again, and thanks for the PM..
I'm not sure what I was talking about. IDK why I thought I saw you mention air pumps. What you just said, is what I thought that air pumps are for freshwater goldfish adn stuff. then for some reason, I thought I read that YOU mentioned air pumps when obviously you didn't.