Ice Cubes OK?

madness

My tanks temperature went up to about 85 degrees in about 3 days. I turned off my heater and 24 hours later it's still the same temperature. How can I cool down my 90 gal tank faster...would it be smart to put ice cubes in there or will that shock the fish? :notsure:

who dey

freez a 1 liter soda bottle filled with water.... set it in your sump and monitor the temp. should stay pretty stable. call it a cheap chiller

madness

Cool, but I don't have a sump or refugium. What if I do a small water change with ice cold water?

airforceb2

Try putting a small fan from walmart or home depot blowing across the top of the water. That is a lot better for the fish. If not this, then put ice in a ziplock baggie and float it for a little while.

who dey

do the float the baggie thing like airforce said... adding a bunch of cold water will shock the he*# out of your fish

airforceb2

Just remember, the ice cubes are just a temporary fix. I would look into getting the fan. There are a few recent posts talking about how the fans help reduce the temp by about 6 degrees.

N

nluchau

Originally Posted by airforceb2
Do you guys even have AC units up in Fargo???

Funny - now why would you think we dont have AC, just because we get -40 in the winter?
Today it was up to about 78 degrees and 100% humidity. Gotta love it. I really do miss ice fishing though. Gotta wait until November for that again.
With my 75 gallon I will rely on AC to keep it cool. The tank lower level of the house and it stays quite cool down there the way it is. Good luck chillin.

airforceb2

WOW...I was almost stationed at Minot...had no idea it got that warm up there. I know what the humidity feels like though. It was 88 today with 90% hum

N

nluchau

Originally Posted by airforceb2
WOW...I was almost stationed at Minot...had no idea it got that warm up there. I know what the humidity feels like though. It was 88 today with 90% hum
To be honest I have never been to minot or even bismarck. I grew up in NW Minnesota and moved to Fargo in 2000. I really have no intentions of visiting western ND since Fargo is the biggest city in ND.
Yes it will get quite warm here in the summer months which are only June, July and August and part of September and then it slowly drops in temperature. I dont mind living here since I have lived here my whole life. I would really like to move down south perhaps to Florida. (just thought I would let you know as I am typing this my AC kicked in)

lion_crazz

I hate the heat. I am glad that I decided to put my tank in the basement though. It was about 90 today in Philly and my tank only went up 1/2-1 degree, and that was right in the afternoon when it was warmest. Frozen water bottle works great though at keeping it cool.

N

nluchau

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
I hate the heat. I am glad that I decided to put my tank in the basement though. It was about 90 today in Philly and my tank only went up 1/2-1 degree, and that was right in the afternoon when it was warmest. Frozen water bottle works great though at keeping it cool.
If thats the highest it will go thats awesome. What kind of lighting do you have on your 90. I am wondering how high the temp will get in mine with 260 watts pc over a 75 gallon. I am just in the process of setting it up. check it out on the DIY 75 gallon thread