ICE - How much do I add ? I am having a nervous breakdown..

vinsaltank

I have the fans.. ( Blowing on my main tanks surface and on my fuge.)
I have raised the lights...
I can't keep my daytime temperature below 85 degrees..
I'm at 78 - 6am.
And as high as 89 - 3pm.
MY CENTRAL COMPRESSOR burned up. My office temp is 90 degrees.
I cant relocate the tank yet.
How much ICE volume should I had to 45gals?
A frozen 2 liter of water in the fuge? or a one liter bottle ?
Will my macro algea die off, and all the pods in my fuge too?
The following have died... I am disgusted.
I wonder if it is all worth it.
The time.
The money.
The testing.
The stress.
I had such a nice tank...

sw65galma

Put the ice in a Ziplock bag and float it...don't let it melt in the tank as it will reduce your salinity.
But you can put as much as you want till the temp drops...No worries besides getting too cold..
Then just take the melted ice bags an stuff them back into the freezer and keep reusing them,.

mudplayerx

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear about your losses :( My advice is to buy a chiller if they have them at a lfs near you. If not, float the ice in bags like instructed. The ice melts VERT fast however, so be prepared to babysit the tank.
ps- you had a beautiful tank, don't give up. You are obviously very talented in reefkeeping.

vinsaltank

To purchase a chiller would be kind of impractical.
This is an emergent situation due to my homes "CHILLER" popping the compressor outside.
I need to get that fixed first, but that cant happen for about 3 weeks.

wrassecal

I think your temp fluctuations are the worst of your problems although 89 is high! Fluctuating between 78 and 89 in 12 hours is a real problem. 85 is fine for a reef tank. Have you tried running your lighting period starting in the night to bring the temp up from the 78 and having the lights go out about noon? Maybe you could stabilize it at about the 82-85 range that way. Sorry for your losses and good luck!

squidd

I think your temp fluctuations are the worst of your problems although 89 is high! Fluctuating between 78 and 89 in 12 hours is a real problem. 85 is fine for a reef tank. Have you tried running your lighting period starting in the night to bring the temp up from the 78 and having the lights go out about noon? Maybe you could stabilize it at about the 82-85 range that way.
I agree..rais ethe heater to lessen the fluctuations and run the lights at night during this "emergency situation"..

shawnts106

PS your goniopora needs to be fed, its very hungry!... try turning off all circulation in your tank, getting some DTS live marine phytoplankton and spot feeding it for an hour... just pour it directly over the coral... to where there is a nice green cloud over it... do this on every third day for 2 weeks, on the third week do it twice a week for a while.. by this time he should look GREAT... then do it once a month tripleing the dossage it says :) good luck with your tank!