ice in aquarium

iggyframe1

I recently lost all my fish and coral to a severe heat spike (102F) and now I have my heater completley off and the temp hasnt went below (84F) i was wondering if I was to make RO Ice cubes and put them in would that hurt anything? let me know what you think please

shu-perman

works great in my tank....just make sure you monitor you salanity levels....it is a pain in the arse at times but it's worth it....

dirty-d

ive had a 60 gallon for 3 years without a heater plugged in because i am on the 3rd floor of a apartment building and in the summer it goes from 80 to 86 because heat rises unfortunately
but i keep about 3 two liters of water frozen in the freezer if it gets to hot i let them float on the top. You save ro water and its easier to do it this way............or i have used icepaks for the job

n2theblue

If I'm understanding correctly, you are looking for a way to keep your temp low rather than just a one time solution to a busted heater? I think the ice would work as an emergency method to lower temperature, and could work on a regular basis if you are always there to closely monitor the temp. The problem I see is that depending on ice to keep the day to day temp correct leaves you open to drastic temperature swings which may well be worse than just the high temp. I don't see how you can maintain a consistent temperature in the tank unless you are always at home to watch it and add/remove ice as needed. You may be better off looking at an air-conditioning unit for the room or a chiller for the tank to provide more long term consistency.

team2jndd

I use the air conditioner method. Cheaper and i like it better because i was able to trick my parents into buying it for me because it wasnt fish related.

bojik

Originally Posted by iggyframe1
I recently lost all my fish and coral to a severe heat spike (102F) and now I have my heater completley off and the temp hasnt went below (84F) i was wondering if I was to make RO Ice cubes and put them in would that hurt anything? let me know what you think please
Insead of IN the water try freezzing it in a 20oz bottle and placing that in the sump area. Would be eaiser on the salinity levels and such :) And reusable >:) do up several. But like n2theblue said risky on tmep swings i think.

scoot

yes u can but ur temp will swing alot so if u can aford it get a chiller and a heater and ull be safe any time of the year!!