icecap or PFO

yaksplat

I'm going to get a 250W halide system. Would it be better to get a dual 250W HQI PFO ballast or two IceCap 250 W Metal Halide Ballast ?
is it better to have one over the other?
Could an icecap ballast be used with a PFO HQI 250 W Mini Pendant?
Would i need a PFO / IceCap Converter Plug?
Thanks
Jim

nas19320

There are advantages and disadvantages to both. I run Icecap MH ballasts and I have no complaints.

viper_930

I use a 150w HQI PFO ballast and it works great. It does make a little hum sound, but I can't even hear it unless I have my ear right next to it, and it doesn't get very hot at all.

solonfairy

the cap is cooler and uses less power
the pfo is hotter and uses more power
the cap underdrives the bulb, the pfo drives it normally and gives more PAR
i did my homework on this before i bought my HQI setup
i went with PFO... then again, my ballasts are out in the garage where any noise or heat wouldnt concern me at all

nas19320

PFO-heavier, hotter, noisier, bulky, cheaper, drives the bulb correctly to give more PAR
Icecap-more expensive,silent running, cool to the touch, much smaller, can drive any bulb in its wattage, may not be as reliable as magenetic, more energy efficient

yaksplat

Originally posted by yaksplat

nas19320

I would say yes, I'm using a pfo mogul socket and I needed the converter plug. You may want to call the retailer to be sure.

yaksplat

and now for the next question:
Ushio or Aqualine?
They're both 10K Double End HQI and the same price
Is there any reason to purchase one over the other?
Jim

golfish

Originally posted by Nas19320
Icecap- can drive any bulb in its wattage

The PFO lacks a little here. I think the only two blubs I wouldn't drive with the PFO HQI is the Sunburst and the Iwaski. It will probably work with both, just might not be a good idea to try it. I know Chris ran the saki on the HQI for a while (400 watt)
The IC ballast have changed a lot in the past few years, mostly because IC doesn't make em anymore. There was a time not long ago that you had to have the IC ballast adjusted and re adjusted everytime you changed bulbs.
IME, the magnetic ballast like the PFO or SLS are a much better product. I'd opt for the SLS ballast over the PFO. Its the same ballast with a much better heat sink.

golfish

These things are really easy to hard wire.

and now for the next question:
Ushio or Aqualine?
They're both 10K Double End HQI and the same price
Is there any reason to purchase one over the other?
Jim

I ran both bulbs off and on when I ran 250 watt DE's..I saw no difference between the two bulbs at all..They both look crisp white with a touch of yellow, well, maybe more then a touch of yellow. If you don't have actinics you wont like the color.

hurt

This may help you. http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm I choose to go with IC 250 MH ballasts because they run your bulbs at a much lower temperature. If you don't want to buy a chiller, I'd go with IC. After 45 min running w-out a fan a IC will push a 250w bulb to only 85 degrees. But a PFO HQI will drive that same bulb to 97 degrees. However the HQI will deliver more par, but unfortunately also much more heat. As early stated, electronic and magnetic ballasts both have advantages and disadvantages.

misfit

i just purchased 2 250 mh hqi set up hopefully getting it buy the end of the week or beginning of next week i went with the IC ballasts and ushio bulbs 10000k but bought the sunlight pendent.working on my hood now.can some one tell me how far to put them off the water i was gonna put them at 10" from water to glass its a 120 gal 5 foot long. if someone out there has the same set up let me know how its working.
thanks
misfit

yaksplat

That's basically the same setup that I just purchased. But like you, I'm waiting to receive it. I'm planning on having it about that same distance from the water.
Jim