Ich dilemma

dani

I had to move my DT to my office. However, I do not have my QT here as there was no where to put it (that would be aesthetically pleasing to the boss).
My tank has been ich-free since I had prior issues (which I used the QT for a batfish & copper treatment - almost 8 weeks). I just purchased a black oscillaris and now he is showing white spots after being in the tank for 1 day.
The PJ cardinal & Batfish now each have some white spots on their fins/eye.
I have inverts, LR, LS, soft corals.
Unfortunately, without my QT i'm between a rock and a hard place.
Ever since the first episode with ick, my fish get their food soaked in Selcon Concentrate. I feed a garlic flake food.
I can see the Oscillaris is stressed. I don't want to stress him anymore.
What can I do in addition to doing my best to boost their immunity?
The PJ & Bat are happy, swimming all over, & eating normally.
The oscillaris is breathing heavy, resting at the bottom (every once in a while swimming in place), and did not eat last night or this morning. He was swimming just fine yesterday.
I did have a Linkia die overnight. I am afraid it has released toxin into the water.
Any insight would be helpful. The oscillaris is a great addition and i'd like to save him if I can.

kingsmith

If it is ich you should bring the fish to your qt for 2 months to treat and leave the DT fallow, besides that you only have the choice of reef safe meds but they may not eliminate the ich.

dani

The QT is in storage along with all my other stuff and has not been set up for the past 3 weeks (difficult to explain without getting into all my personal goings-on).
What reef-safe medications can I try?
I want to attempt to alleviate the oscillaris's stress level. All the others are happy.
Here is a photo from yesterday (attached)
I will work on getting a photo of him today and then post that.

sepulatian

You can try Kick Ich. People report the most success with that over some of the others. Garlic flake food is just flavor enhanced. You will need to use fresh garlic. Take a look at Beth's Common Treatments FAQ for information on fresh garlic vs. prepared garlic.

R

rcreations

You're not gonna get rid of ich without QT so if I were you, I'd try to keep it under control, using UV sterilizer, cleaner shrimp, cleaner wrasse and fresh garlic.

dani

Originally Posted by RCreations
http:///forum/post/2846400
You're not gonna get rid of ich without QT so if I were you, I'd try to keep it under control, using UV sterilizer, cleaner shrimp, cleaner wrasse and fresh garlic.
Yes, I understand that I will not get rid of it. I just want to do the best to help this little guy.
I do have cleaner shrimp. I am going to try the fresh garlic, though he hasn't eaten today. I will attempt to feed him by spot feeding, so that the others don't eat everything I put in (the batfish will clean up as he's quite a pig).

dani

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2846339
You can try Kick Ich. People report the most success with that over some of the others. Garlic flake food is just flavor enhanced. You will need to use fresh garlic. Take a look at Beth's Common Treatments FAQ for information on fresh garlic vs. prepared garlic.
Thanks I will try to find some of that at the stores here so that I can try treating him asap.
I may just set up a 5 or 10 gal QT somewhere that will be out of view (to make my boss happy).

dani

Ok, was able to take some more photos (not that great). Poor guy. He is covered more that he was this am. The other fish are doing well and don't seem to be bothered at all.
Hopefully I can save him. Thanks for all your suggestions. They are much appreciated.

sepulatian

He doesn't look too good. Pick up a bottle of Methylene blue and give him a bath. You add the methylene to a bucket of tank water and leave the fish in there for an hour or so. Only use this product in a bucket, never in the tank. Things are not looking good for him, but it may give him some relief.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2846510
Hep Sep, that was your 14,000 th post.

What does the Methylene blue do against ICH?
Yeah, I just noticed that

Methylene helps the ich detach. It won't get all of them to drop off but it will certainly help, especially if he is covered.
The control method only works if the fish have a high immune system. This guy is not feeling well at all. The ich are feeding on him which is lowering is immune system even more.

dani

I was able to pick up a friend's 5 gal tonight. I have moved him into that tank and will treat him with cupramine, garlic-soaked food, and hopefully I am not too late to save him.
Everyone one else in my 90gal is happy as can be. So I will treat the big tank with either Ick Attack or Kick Ich just to help out a little. There's just too much in the DT and I don't have a sufficient QT (I wish I did :( ), so I have to make do with what I got.
Sorry for the water on the outside of the tank...
Here he is in the 5 gal:

sepulatian

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2846526
Has no affect on their life, doesn't kill them, though correct?
You can goolgle it for more information. It is made by Kordon. Here is a clip from their site
MODE OF ACTION
The therapeutic action of Methylene Blue on bacteria and other parasites is probably due to its binding with cytoplasmic structures within the cell and also its interference with oxidation reduction processes.
Dani, I really hope that your clown makes it through. What kind of test kit did you buy for testing the copper level? Be sure to top off the water as needed so the copper level doesn't raise. You will have a tough time, I am sorry to say, keeping the ammonia down. Copper in an uncycled tank is never a good idea. Mix up water for changes and add the correct amount of copper to have it match the copper level in the QT. Keep the other fish as healthy as you can. As mentioned, picking up a cleaner goby and another shrimp wouldn't hurt.

dani

http:///forum/post/2847013
Dani, I really hope that your clown makes it through. What kind of test kit did you buy for testing the copper level? Be sure to top off the water as needed so the copper level doesn't raise. You will have a tough time, I am sorry to say, keeping the ammonia down. Copper in an uncycled tank is never a good idea. Mix up water for changes and add the correct amount of copper to have it match the copper level in the QT. Keep the other fish as healthy as you can. As mentioned, picking up a cleaner goby and another shrimp wouldn't hurt.

RIP
Came into work this am and he was gone. I feel so bad. But, I don't think I'll be buying from that LFS anymore. I have only had 1 fish live - my orbiculate batfish - and even he had a very rough go at first.
So, now I will be searching for a new black oscillaris...
I don't know if I'll get lucky to have that unique of a misbar again

dani

http:///forum/post/2847404
I am sorry for your loss. Keep that QT running and use it for the next clown.
Yes, I will keep this one running. My friend had it running prior to me picking it up.
I just think that poor guy was too sick to recover