Ich!!!! Help!!!

reefman22

I just noticed some white spots on my false percula and im pretty sure its ich. what can I do about it before it spreads throughout my tank???

hot883

Originally Posted by Reefman22
I just noticed some white spots on my false percula and im pretty sure its ich. what can I do about it before it spreads throughout my tank???
What else is in the tank? What size, LR, LS, inverts etc.? Do you have a qt set up?

reefman22

I have another false perc a black and white clown about 65 lbs of LR 60 lbs of LS about 8 hermits and 4 snails. no qt. its a 55 gallon tank

jamiehag

hate to tell you but if it's on your fish your whole tank as already infected. Before it attaches to a host it goes through the free swimming stage meaning it was already spread throughout your tank best thing to do is feed garlic extract remove all fish from the tank and do hypo. Ick does not affect inverts they will be fine.

hot883

You will need to treat the fish with either hyposalinity or copper and NOT in the main tank. Do you have a reefer around that can help you out? Or do you have an extra 10 gal or so laying around that you can make a QT? Take some of your 55 water out to put in the QT.(It's already cycled that way) and start treatment asap.
I lost my yellow tang to ICH and infected my entire tank. I am in week 2 of copper treatment and cannot wait to get them back into my display. Good luck to ya!

hot883

In a pinch you can use a rubbermaid container , adda cheap bio filter, heater and you are on your way. Hypo is when you lower your salinity to 1.009. Kick ICH will not work because ich is a invert and so are crabs. They say you can treat the main tank with kick ich and it will work. Now ask your self how K.I. can be selective and kill ich but not inverts. PLEEEEASE!

jamiehag

Many people have had success withj ust feeding Kent marine garlic extreme although it does not cure the ick in the tank it does boost the immune system and allows the fish to fight the parisite off on their own. BUT you still are prone to having ick outbreaks in the future ie when you add new fish or cause stress on them. You simply soak the regular food that you feed in a few drops of garlic extract and feed. it best to feed it every couple of days the keep immune systems stong. Hypo is the only way to rid your tank of ick though. Go read the desiese forums you will find all the info you need the on doing hypo IN A SEPERAT TANK that is.

jamiehag

Originally Posted by hot883
Kick ICH will not work because ich is a invert and so are crabs. They say you can treat the main tank with kick ich and it will work. Now ask your self how K.I. can be selective and kill ich but not inverts. PLEEEEASE!
GOOD ADVICE!! THIER IS NO BOTTLE CURE FOR ICK IN A REEF TANK!!!
People come on here claiming that kick ick works and that they have used many times to cure ick now think about it if it truly killed ick why are they treating it more than one time??? Most likly the ick is just running it's life cycle after a few days the ick will drop off of the host fish anyway. Then start the cycle all over again. They were just lucky that the fish was strong enough to survive that round. but it is a continuous cycle.

hot883

Bottom line is the maintank needs to run fallow (fish free) for 3-4 weeks longer if possible. ICH can only survive on fish NOT inverts, so remove the fish. No other options exist, remove all fish and treat all fish with hypo or copper. Copper can harm some species of fish. Like anything else on here, take the advice with a grain of salt. (no pun intended).
Beth is the true disease expert and I would listen to anything she says. Look up ICH and find her threads.

reefman22

Mostly all my fish have at least one spot of ich. how come I could not treat the fish in the main display tank? Also, how do fish get ich?