Ich in established tank, please help

mbtulimaa

I have a 55 gal reef tank at my work that I take care of. We have NOT added any new fish in the last 2 months. Our Royal Gramma went through a "I'm not feeling well period" got ich and now the Yellow tang has it. I have used greenex in the past but I can't order it anywhere. It would require ALOT of work to take everything out of the tank to get the tang out. Has anyone had any luck with another product that may clear things up. If I could get the tang out I would and treat her in a QT setup, but that really isn't an option.
Thanks in advance
Amy L. Cone

mbtulimaa

I did read through there and thought that the Kent Marine stop parisite might be the best choice but I thought that I would put a post up also.

florida joe

Treatment is obviously the first priority but what must be addressed IMO how did ick get introduced into a disease free tank

sepulatian

Originally Posted by mbtulimaa
http:///forum/post/2493788
I did read through there and thought that the Kent Marine stop parisite might be the best choice but I thought that I would put a post up also.
I have used stop parasites personally and it smelled awful. I did not see an improvement on my fish so I treated them with hyposalinity. I really cannot tell you which one is best because we have heard such mixed results about them. Some work, to a degree, and some do not. Some people report that they melted their corals, yet others swear by them. Whatever method you try, I hope that you understand that ich will still be in the tank. No reef safe medication actually kills ich. You can add fresh garlic to their foods to give the fish a better shot at fighting off the parasites.

mbtulimaa

Florida Joe,
I do not know how the ich got into the system in the first place. This tank has been established for 11 years. I have been taking care of it for the past 5 and we have not had ich during that time. I yanked the gramma out yesterday. I think that I may just try to do daily 20% h2o changes and see if the tang will clear up on its own. If I can catch the tang I will QT it but she is fast and has LOTS of hiding places. I am at a loss for where to go from here. I think that the wait and see approach might work.
Amy

florida joe

Amy I fully understand your aggravation and disappointment at having this And again treatment is your first priority but IMO how an out break of ick was manifested after two months is of great importance to us all and should be discussed by as many members as can be

al mc

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2494250
I have used stop parasites personally and it smelled awful. I did not see an improvement on my fish so I treated them with hyposalinity. I really cannot tell you which one is best because we have heard such mixed results about them. Some work, to a degree, and some do not. Some people report that they melted their corals, yet others swear by them. Whatever method you try, I hope that you understand that ich will still be in the tank. No reef safe medication actually kills ich. You can add fresh garlic to their foods to give the fish a better shot at fighting off the parasites.
If I could not eliminate the Ich through hyposalinity or copper treatment and wanted a bottled product that 'might' help.....I have used Kick Ich before with some marginal success. It is medication that is similar to Metronidazole
which has antibiotic and anti protozoal properties.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2494569
Amy I fully understand your aggravation and disappointment at having this And again treatment is your first priority but IMO how an out break of ick was manifested after two months is of great importance to us all and should be discussed by as many members as can be
Ich could have easily come in on the last fish and gone unnoticed until now. That is why many of us quarantine for six weeks.

florida joe

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2495184
Ich could have easily come in on the last fish and gone unnoticed until now. That is why many of us quarantine for six weeks.
Understood but her fish went eight weeks with out a sign of ick so a QT of six weeks with out ick being noticed would have still introduced an infected fish in her tank