Ich in my nano...

beachbum1614

I have a 24g nano reef tank with a bunch of anemones, mushrooms,etc. I saw that ick was on one of my fish so i took all the fish out and put them in a QT. Is their anything i can put in my tank to control the ich and take care of the problem with out harming my inverts?

beachbum1614

I read beths thread but it had said to lower salinity which i cant since it is reef i was just hoping their was something that would help speed the process instead of waiting the full six weeks for the ich to die off due to lack of a host.

subielover

You are confused. You perform hypo in a quarantine, not in the DT. The DT must lay empty for about 6 weeks so that the ich will die off, nothing needs to be done to the display as long as the hosts(fish) are out.

mopar9012

i believe there are some meds that you can put in your tank for ich, but you have to be very careful that they are reef safe.
I added some non reef safe med to my tank once and I had all my corals in another tank the next day, they survived. I didnt know any better.

coralstacker

I have treated ich in my reef and fish tank without removing anything.Keep in mind that all the while you are chasing your fish around the rocks they are being stressed which is a cause of ich. Unless it doesn't take long for you to catch them.The product I used is reef safe. It is called kick ich, I'm not sure who makes it. For some reason Ruby Reef is in my head unless the label read that it could be used with Ruby Reef.

jackri

I've tried kick ich before (no real results).... it will only kill ich in certain stages so really to keep it from coming back QT and fish out of the display tank for 6 weeks is really the best way unfortunately.