ich on cow fish and purple tang

|2ain

my purple tang and my cow fish both have ich, i put them in a qt and im using coppersafe, im doing water changes daily , im bringing water from my display tank to the 10 gallon qt tank (about 25% water change). my only problem is in my display tank my ammon. is .25 and my nitrates are at 10. my nitrites are at 0 and my ph is at 8.2. any suggestions on the qt tank or how i can get the ammon/nitrates to 0. i do a water change and vacum once a week. plz help.
(im adding 12 ml of coppersafe a day)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Stop using coppersafe. By constantly doing water changes you are interferring with the effectiveness of this med anyway, and just exposing your fish to excessive toxic copper for nothing.
Read the FAQ Thread on QT as well as the hyposalinity post. If you choose to stop using copper and go with hyposalinity, after you get your tank in hyposaline conditions [in other words diluting the copper out of your tank] you can add a few cups of sand from your display and a "scarfifical" piece or 2 of LR. Actually, they are not necessarily sacarficed. I have exposed a few pieces of my LR to hypo as well as antibiotics and they bounced back. That's another topic, however.
What are you using for filter media? Get a sponge filter and leave it in your display for a few days, then transfer it to your QT.
Copper will kill of nitrifying bacteria, thus damaging or destroying your tank's ability for biological filtration. Unless you have a very well established QT, like my own, then you can't use copper for treatments and expect it to stay healthy.